Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

JT
Senior Contributor

Re: Self Care

Pretty much any genre karma - depends on the mood of the day!

I love the op shops- just as well, cos they are my price range Cat Wink

At the moment my anxiety is stopping me going tho- which is a good or bad idea..... not sure!!!

Hi Kristin, I too have a diagnosis of bipolar (1) and keeping to routine sleep patterns is really important for me. I am a bit of a zealot when it comes to going to bed - around 11pm but the occasional late one when I'm out on the weekend. I'm always up around 8-8.30am and exercise is very important for me, especially as I'm on an antipsychotic and I watch my weight.

And I am travelling well now, have't had an episode in over a year and it's a real celebration for me. I had been having an episode a year for a very long time - decades.

Am looking forward to going on a week's holiday soon with my husband...please take care Kristin.

All the best,

Itwillbeok

Hi,

I love your username - it is a wonderful reminder to us all. This (crap) too will pass!

Well done for working at and extending the length of time being stable. That's a wonderful achievement! And certainly worth celebrating.

I think one of the things about suffering from mental illness is that things (even "simple" ones) can be terribly difficult to do/deal with/face. Yet once we have climbed a particular mountain it no longer has such momentous proportions when we look back. It can be so easy to dismiss what we achieve as "easy" in hindsight. Celebrating our steps, as well as our leaps, forward is very important. It can so often feel like a never-ending journey through a quagmire, especially if we don't stop to give ourselves a pat on the back for climbing those mountains.

Be well 🙂 (something a psychologist I saw years ago used to say at the end of every session - a good reminder of what I work towards)

Best regards,

Kristin

I'm quite introverted and my main issue these days is social anxiety, so part of my self care is making sure I get enough time at home and enough time alone - sometimes it means careful scheduling, or giving myself more downtime if work has been particularly social heavy (team days etc).

Some of the most recharging things for me are pottering about in the garden, or watching 'chicken TV' in the backyard as I watch my chickens pottering about doing their own version of gardening. Chooks live so much in the present moment and are really calming and entertaining to watch.

I also have cats and being snuggled up under a pile of adoring litties is pretty darn good for what ails you.

I want some chook tv too! I get to hear chook tv as my neighbours have some but my dog, well she would try and eat them.
So I have chook stereo in the mornings and early evenings which is nearly as good😄

I wrote on another topic that I have a chook called lucky who wandered into my yard from the bush. She had a girlfriend but it got eaten by something. She survived so I call her lucky. She sits on my lap and lays an egg most days. She sometimes wanders inside but I try to stop her doing that because sometimes she can forget and do a poop. She knows who I am and runs up every morning to see me. I think she can talk but I havent learnt chook language yet. She makes my day.

Hi JT,

good to meet you.. I've been taking care of myself for the past three years fairly well.....it's been an experience.
how you wrote about going to the pub read refreshing and happy. that you go there to help other people, selling raffle tickets"......it really is about the little things isn't it 🐵

do your children live with you?

I vizsit ahomeless centre, firstly because they were firstly advertising that they could help me with my ex husband. they didn't but I like having a coffee with some of the other people there. sometimes I give a flannel I've bought to someone or just sit there have a coffee and leave. there are some good friends who also go there like my neighbours who are very kind.

so, I try and do as much artwork as I can. also sewing and staying calm. Loud people, anger, loud noises....Even loud music makes me want to run away.
I really enjoy sewing little bits and pieces
I don't smoke, drink, use illegal substances.....I am on medication.on Thursday I'm seeing my GP about vitamin D that I learnt about on this forum.

Please write again,
I'm going to read what others have written now....

Allesandra, I like what you write. I've joined many groups but I seem to be identifying with this one, maybe because it's anonymous....I don't feel judged.

I am new to this self care and i like your comments i am struggling with myself today and have been searching for my balance and honesty i found your words truthful and interesting and comforting, thank you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance