Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self Care

understand that you are special and of value is important to me

Frog22
Casual Contributor

I find the best thing for me is exercise.  For the past 2 years I walked everyday probably for an hour and this year I am running.  Its difficult to do some days when its freezing, raining etc but after wards you feel much better physically and mentally.  I have had a break of 2 weeks when I was injured and I felt quite down, and would let my thoughts get me down.  Excercise gives you more energy too.  I am not a fitness freak but think when you've got lots of things going on in your life its good to take a break and run run run.

Hi,

I would be lost without my furkids and my music.........

I don't care that I'm 48 and play music loud when I need it - it helps get me out of my own head.

BD
New Contributor

When I'm feeling overwhelmed, anxious or any other sort of negative feeling I find that taking some time for myself (about half hour) and do something that I enjoy can make me look at things from a different, more positive perspective. Could be anything from .. headphones on with upbeat music up loud , a sneaky trip to bunnings or ikea or even just writing down what I'm worked up about (sounds simple but it's hard to stop sometimes and take a moment for myself) I was recently been pointed in the direction of a book called 'don't sweat the small stuff' .. Until I read it I never realised that's exactly what I do! So that's another good go to for me. 🙂

Regular routines are very helpful, especially when I was in the grips of depression and anxiety. Hot showers at both ends of my days are still my number one daily act of looking after me! Luckily I have a continuous hot water system coz on a stressful day's end I might take 15 mins. Not environmentally friendly but worth every extra cent I pay for gas and water!

Love the sneaky trips to IKEA and Bunnings. I am a bit of a sneaky op shopper!

I agree Alessandra 1992, hot showers are very soothing. I have a bath at night and it is the one thing I look forward to. Yes I am happy to pay the extra cent for the gas and water.

Yes the op shop! I was addicted for a while, but got that one reeled in too.

Taking time is a good idea. I've been told that just changing what you are doing when feeling anxious can help lots,and it does seem to.

I must admit I rarely get to the op shops nowadays, too busy with work! Which is just as well as by nature I am a bower bird or a magpie. Love sparkly colourful surroundings..and people!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance