Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

itt
Casual Contributor

centerlink rules have changed

i recently found out that centerlink nolonger exept any medical report regarding mental illnes from anyone but a clinical phyciatrist. as a person that suffers from severe scocal angsiety severe depreshon and suasidel tedanseys(havent tryed to end my life since meeing my curant phycolagist 3 years ago)+ many other things i dont want to dicus. i am now expected to atend groop sesions at my job service provider 3 days a week look for 20 jobs a month and do 17hours work for the dole per week. i was exempt from all job seeking activetys on the old system but thay now dont recognise my phycolagist report. i dont like phyciatrists thay only wont to put me on drugs. sory about the bad spelling i tough myself how to read and write after being kicked out of school aged 15 for being to far behined to be able to catch up. i was diagnosed with 2 forms of dislexia 3 years ago im now 44. 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: centerlink rules have changed

Hello @itt

thanks for sharing recent developments on the centrelink front.

No wonder there are signs posted at centrelink offices about aggression and violence not being tolerated, the system and how people are treated within it, is enough to make anyone hot under the collar!!Smiley Mad

I don't understand this stenciled approach...

Could it be worth having 1-2 sessions with a psychiatrist to have the paperwork signed off? I'm sure your psychologist would support you in that process?

On another note, no apologies needed for the spelling, what an amazing feat that you've been able to teach yourself how to read and write!Smiley Happy

I am currently reading, 'so I hit him' by Mick Whatham, born in England with multiple disabilities, and placed in care from a very young age. He never went to school and learnt through observation, today living in Australia he is currently completing his PhD.

People are amazing!

Hi @itt

This sounds realy horrible. As @-karma- mentioned, there's a reason why people are often not happy at Centrelink. Sometimes systems can contribute to a person's illness.

It sounds like your psychologist and you have a good relationship. Have you had a chance to talk this over with them? I wonder if they can provide you with some support to facilitate this?

i have now had my payments stoped becose i could not meet my job serch requierments i dont know what to do. i am wating for the ombudsman to reply i have used up my 10 apointments with my phyciatrist i am out of options any advice would be greatly aprecated

Perhaps if you see your regular GP doctor as soon as possible and they can contact your psychologist for you urgently and explain the situation and the psych doctor you were seeing might do the letter you need for you for centrelink.  That's what I would try.  Also there are various non-government organisations like Anglicare, Cathlicare, Salvation Army and others - not sure for where you are they might be different from here, that will do emergency assistance for food and if you are at risk of homelessness because you can't pay rent.   Hoping someone of these is able to help you.  

Hi @itt,

Sorry to hear you are doing it tough with Centrelink. It sounds like you might need to see a psychiatrist to get the paperwork you require for payments to be reinstated. Even if you are offered med by a psychiatrist, it is usually your choice whether you decide to proceed with that or not. Your GP is the first stop for a referral. If you are having financial problems then you will need a bulk-billing psychiatrist and could ask the GP about that. Alternatively, you can look around on Google for psychiatrists in your area and ring some of them to find out whether they might bulk bill you. Then go to the GP and ask specifically for a referral to that psychiatrist you have found. I hope this is of some use to you. Wishing you well.

Oh! That explains why the assessor who did an employment service assessment only had the report from my clinical psychologist in front of her. That was okay it turned out well for me.

However given that you have been cutoff benefits probably need the assistance of a case manager. This can be obtained at your local community mental health centre. Local welfare groups can also help you get this sort of assistance. This is the sort of help that can help you liase with Centrelink. 

As far as your job provider requirements. It looks like you are required to do what someone on Stream A or B needs to do which means that your job provider may not be able to provide the help you need as these streams assume little to no barriers to employment and therefore Job Providers can only provide very little assistance

You probably will need to demonstrate evidence of 

1. Your Mental Health Issues

2. Your Dyslexia

If you can get re-assessed then they should be able to reduce job seeking requirement and provide more directed help to identify the sorts of jobs that are suitable.

Ombudsman can't probably help if they have followed the rules. Another contact is welfare rights. You do have the right to ask Centrelink to review their decision.

Hi all

I work in a Disablity Employent agency ( Dont trow stuff at the screen i dont work for Centrlink)

The rules have moved more than changed .

There used to be a stream 4 service for medical and other NON vocational issues ( Non work/job related )

You need to get a verification of Medical Evidence form to your GP.

They can list previously diagnosed mental Health issues. Also you can request from Centrelink the JCA or ESAT that they are working from. Your Emplyment agency cant give this too you.

This will have the medical evidence that centrelink are working with , if its wrong let them know use the verification form. many Mental health agencies will help with this for free esp the Social Worker at Hospitals and Mental Health.

The fax number to send it too ( make sure your CRN is on ALL pages is 1300 727 760

If your illness is severly impacting your abilty to work Centrelink will help BUT THEY ARE HUGE and you need to get the information to them in the format they need to process it.

ok hold on to your seat because this one I can help you with! I have been there, done that, and had my payments reinstated on the same day.

Step 1. Write a letter of complaint to your centrelink branch manager outlining why this decision disadvantages you & the negitive effect it is having on our health (I had to ramble to a friend while she wrote it in clear & concise words. You can also ask your GP/Pysc to help you with this)

Step 2. While at GP/Psyc, ask them BOTH to write a letter of recommendation including how long they have known you & what steps have worked/failed in helping you recover and that in their PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OPiNION ARE NOT MEDICALLY CLEARED TO RETURM TO WORK.

Step 3. While at GP/Psyc. Ask for an emergency referal to a local psyciatrist willing to bulk bill ONE session for the purpose of diagnostic testing only (most citys have at least one practicing in a hospital setting) so their can be a wait to get in to see them but if you can't afford a visit (which lets face it, most of us on DP can't) its a great option.

Step 4. Now that you've done all of that, Make an appointment to see a social worker (preferably the one AT your local centrelink office if you can swing it. Otherwise ANY social worker to advocate on your behalf will do)

I know reading it feels like a lot, but just remember
1.GP/PSYC appointment.
2. Get letter/medical certificate saying you are not medically cleared to do abc UNTIL you see psyciatrist.
3. Make appointment with a social worker
4. Take it all into centrelink (and if like me, you're not even stable enough to do that) have your social worker do it.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance