Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

melbourneguy91
Casual Contributor

Need help to find a good psychiatrist (Victoria)

Hey all. It really feels like finding a needle in a haystack in searching for a good psych. So far, I've used RateMD and tried a few of the highly rated ones. Saw one popular one for a one-off appointment, the experience was pretty stock standard, nothing my GP hasn't already tried.

There's a particular clinic with the city name here which has been a nightmare to get into. So I'm looking elsewhere. I don't know if we are allowed to mention names in this forum, but I'd at least appreciate a trustworthy directory I can try out to find a good doctor (money not being an issue).

Looking forward to any suggestions!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Need help to find a good psychiatrist (Victoria)

I'm thinking, would it be good to search for a psychiatrist from a particular website? E.g. if you'd like someone who has experience with bipolar, you go to an Australian Bipolar site; if you want someone with experience in eating disorders, you then go to The Australian ED site? @melbourneguy91 

Do you think this will help?

There's a bunch of sites. A main one is https://psychology.org.au/find-a-psychologist which is the Australian Psychological Society site. Not every psych is on it but all psych's are approved through the APS so it's a bit more formal/official. It does have a big range.

I'll give this a shot!

That's for psychologists, psychiatrists are medicine focused 🙂

Hi @melbourneguy91 

I just wanted to reach out to offer you some support 💜

Absolutely! Searching for the care and support that we need, really can feel as though we’re searching for a needle in a very large haystack and this is something that I can definitely relate to!

With that being said, I just wanted to say that I really admire your determination to continue to search for a psychiatrist who embodies all of the qualities that are important to you 😊

Although our community guidelines prevent us from sharing the details of specific Psychiatrists, I thought that The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists website may be helpful for you, as you can search for a Psychiatrist in your area 😊

I’ve just included the link below, just in case you would like to explore this further:

https://www.yourhealthinmind.org/find-a-psychiatrist

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @melbourneguy91 that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them 😊

I really hope that you find the care and support that you need and I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Take care,

ShiningStar 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance