Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Beware Current Tax Scam

Today 2 phone messages were left on my answering machine, from a Sydney no. ostensibly from the ATO. I replied and was accused of intentional fraud against the government and that if I hung up my case would be referred straight to court and a policeman would arrest me. Appaulled and shocked I enquired for which returns and was told from years 2000-15 and that the amount was $5000.00. 

It was weird and I tried to deal with it but was transferred to a senior "officer", with accusations of immediate arrest. When I enquired which dept they were calling from the became aggressively stating bla bla bla from the ATO, but honestly could not understand them through the accent, when I asked to repeat I was accused of pretending that I did not understand, after I persisted a while, he told me was from the "audit" dept in Martin Place Sydney. It was very harrassing and intimidating and though they used the concept that I had to follow "govt protocol", I kept thinking "but that wouldnt be legal ... not even the tax office can do that."

I said  "I worked in 300 Collins St for the ATO." and mentioned the word scam but ... they were pretty brazen and kept up with "dont dare hang up" and then "get a criminal lawyer" and "policeman will come to my home to arrest me" and it will be "in the news".

He then outlined protocol:

1) stay on phone and online

2) Confidentiality ... not to tell a 3rd party

3) was going to tell me Bank account no where I could deposit the 5 grand and then be done with it and the tax office would wipe my debt ... but strangely ... he said he had frozen my accounts and hung up.

Not a good start to my day. I had to go out, but the cops did not arrive at my door.

I went to 2 health appointments as planned.

The psychologist thought it was hilarious and a scam . .. I was relieved to talk to her but still was a bit shaken. 

The osteo had also received similar messages on her practise phone line. She was a bit worried, but spoke to her accountant who said had good faith in ... and said well they come and arrest me .. there's nothing else I can do ... but I am not going to put money into account under those conditions.

One of the delightful legacies I received from parents' MI diagnoses ... is that I am analytical LONG before I am paranoid ... and I am analytical about paranoia ... and lived my life through truth and courage as guiding principals.

I might joke that I am paranoid ... and I did feel it when I smoked dope 30 years ago ... but I am actually too down to earth to be paranoid ... and I am not a chicken ... have lived life to the hilt.

So not paranoid ... but less trusting in a big bad world. I am finally old enough to know when someone is pulling a swifty on me.

When I worked at tax  .. I also had to follow up dumping in the harbour schemes ... but it was a long time ago ... so I wasnt totally sure about new protocols since the internet etc ...

Anyway ... fear and paranoia ... may have a logical reason .. in my EXPERIENCE ... they ALWAYS do ... it is important to discriminate and not lump it all together.

Cheers Apple

Have a good day

Gotta cook dinner for the boy

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Beware Current Tax Scam

I've had a similar one, rattled me a bit. I googled it straight after though and it out my mind at ease. it didn't help that my tax wasn't up to date at the time.

Thanks for reply @plasmo

mine is running a bit late ... its on my to do list ... but I knew its more or less fine.

Some of our anxieties are there for a reason.

Glad you are still around.

cheers

@Appleblossom yeah i dont usually venture into other posts.

i'm not up to date with this year yet, bank has only just gotten around to issuing a digital statement, slack

I am not up to date for this year .. but as my accountant sent a weird email a month ago that showed he had messed up income amounts over hte last couple years  ... I have to go back and check it all again ...its all so tedious as I have been under income thresholds for Centrelink and ATO ... but have to file returns as I had a small business ... and pay accountant  ... next week will do.

i might look at it over the weekend, don't have a huge amount of faith in my tax guy.
i think they're more interested in bashing out quick and easy returns

Yep me too ... mine charges $75 ... but has it all computerised so I have some idea ... how much time he doesnt spend on it ... so I will delay it all to next week... I am not letting that rotten scammer pre-empt me into doing it when I dont have a clear enough head for the numbers and the pedantry.

i've seen people at a stall doing them for $30, it's crazy. i'd rather see someone i have a track record with and has been around for a while

They are just doing that to start up business... and get a database full of clients. Well ultimately the scammer was right in that ... it is not the tax agent who is liable for mistakes .. it is the taxpayer or individual.

Unless the agent gives clear false advice.

I find it annoying cos I have to do the professional thing addendum thingy ... which requires lodgement by an agent.  This tax year (YE June 30 2017) I may not be teaching and am going to simplify it all ..

my agent isnt clear about how he refers to his year ends ... so now I think he is not that capable ... but he has records going back ..

then maybe I might make a million if I publish a book ... who knows ... whatever .. now I am sounding like my son.

I just do it to

dot the i s and cross the t s.

and keep the powers that be happy ... my 2 long standing students are doing VCE this year ... so eased off .. they may come back when at uni ... dunno ... have to be detached and professshhh about it all.

yeah the reason i take it to someone is because i don't know what im doing, i'd rather someone else deal with it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance