Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

CannonSalt
Senior Contributor

Antidepressants for kids and teens ineffective, may even be harmful, study finds

A major review in The Lancet has found that antidepressants aren't effective for children and teenagers with major depression.

ABC: Antidepressants for kids and teens ineffective, may even be harmful, study finds

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Antidepressants for kids and teens ineffective, may even be harmful, study finds

Hi @CannonSalt thanks for sharing this article - an interesting read that presents a balanced approach to medication prescription and management among children and adolescents. Keen to hear others' thoughts.

Re: Antidepressants for kids and teens ineffective, may even be harmful, study finds

I wonder if the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists' recommendations for kids and teens (according to the article, they date from ~2005) will change in light of the research?  It seems that they're written in a sort of style where 'it's better to treat depression (implied to be through medication) than for a kid to die from lack of medication'... but that doesn't gel with the findings of the review article.  According to the article, the review looked at 34 studies - the data of 5,000 children. 

I'm not an expert but I can say from our experience that anti-depressants may well have saved my daughters life. That's all the proof I need at this point. 

I have heard pros and cons. A lot depends on context and other supports and factors in the child/teens life.  Anecdotal stories are what they are.

When I was at Vinnies I had to organise a queen size bed for one girl of 13 who had obviously been over medicated for a long period and had serious weight problems and an exhausted mother. 

I did hear from a teacher about so-called miraculous results but there was not long term follow up.

Maybe there should be time limits and careful monitoring of all circumstances for the individual. 

A board or next level ... to be consulted with ...  if meds are used for more than 2 years???

For me meds for under 18s should be only used as a serious last resort.

There are no REAL miracle cures. There are side effects.

Great to see you again @CannonSalt

Hi <br>My experience has been very poor with medications - my daughter is currently trying to tritate down from an anti psychoticshe was on 600 when she left a private clinic - as well as other various medications - including ante depressants. I am a sole parent and paid $400 to a private psychiatrist who was also the medical director of the private clinic she was admitted. She also has mild cerebral palsy - when I questioned the medications - I was treated like an idiot - however she know has tardive dyskenesia - uncontrollable shaking - a side effect from the anti psychotic she has never shown signs of psychosis. Yet I know have to live with the trying to slowly bring her off these meds and try and work at the same time. I am angry how medications are just prescribed and given out with no real informed consent. We need much research into new drugs people with psychiatric illness and their families are so vulnerable . This is my first post and my view on medications - also interesting to note that the biggest killer of people in the US is now prescription drugs? <br>Kind regards <br>Dharma

Hi @Dharma - I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Have you asked at your cerebral palsy state association (Cerebral Palsy Australia is the peak body) for some support?  Even if your daughter is over 18 you should be able to find some help there.  Can she access the NDIS?  I have heard that there are some psychoactive medications with a muscle relaxant side effect that are sometimes prescribed for cerebral palsy - maybe check to see if anything she's been on could have interacted with her CP. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance