Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // "You don't have to be isolated as a carer" // Tues 26th October, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Question 1 for @SA64 and the Community: What are the biggest challenges you experience as a carer?

There have been a few big challenges, but the biggest one for me was isolation.  My life really revolved around my unwell daughter for a solid 3 ½ years of intensive treatment, and it wasn’t something I could share with others.
I had found when I shared with a friend about my son having anxiety and depression, I was greeted with people telling me how to deal with it, that it was my fault all this happened, that I needed to be tougher on him.  So, when my daughter went into psychosis I had already learned not to share with others, because there was no understanding and no support.

Re: Topic Tuesday // "You don't have to be isolated as a carer" // Tues 26th October, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Welcome @Rhye, so grateful you could join us today and for your first Topic Tuesday! Heart 

Just jumping in to tag a few members: @Mumma_of4 @Shaz51 @Dimity 

Hello @SA64 , @Daisydreamer , @Rhye 

I have been a carer for my mum for just over a year , she has mid range undiagnosed dementia 

And also have my husband who has bipolar 2 and other diagnosis 

@SA64, it sounds like you have been such an amazing support for your family. I know you mentioned earlier that being a carer became a part of who you are, and that is something we hear from other carers here on the forums too. What have you learned about yourself since becoming carer and how has that shaped who you are?

And just tagging a few other members as well who might be around this evening: @Pekingpandaz @CalmingNature @Tinker67 @BPDSurvivor @Thr33 @LizzieLou @greenpea 

Welcome @Shaz51! So great to have you here 🙂 I would love to hear your thoughts on the first question: What are the biggest challenges you experience as a carer?

@Anastasia , @Smc , @Determined 😀

Hi @Daisydreamer @Shaz51 @Rhye @SA64 !

I'm not a carer per se, but I have to work with many people who ARE carers. There is so much learning involved in that in itself.

Sometimes, people are 'forced' into that situation - a situation they were not prepared for whatsoever.

Well, its taught me a lot about strengths I didn't know I had, it taught me how to be noisy i.e. advocating, and it's helped me expand my understanding of so many ways people can be different and amazing just as they are.  And that we, as carers, as amazing just as we are.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance