Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Flotsam
Senior Contributor

IME was worse than I thought it would be

I am really upset by an independent medical examiner. He was nice enough but he asked some really difficult questions. 

He asked, Why were you bullied? What are you supposed to say to that? Because everyone hates me, or because I am a loser or because other people are arseholes. It just felt like a blame the victim question and could have been asked in a better way. It is a question I can’t answer even to myself and one I will never know the answer to.

It was an hour in when he was asking questions that I just couldn’t think of answers. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to see the report and I am overwhelmed and flooded by despair. I haven’t spoken to my psychologist for weeks and don’t have an appointment till next week. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: IME was worse than I thought it would be

@Flotsam I'm so sorry that these questions have such an impact. It's so understandable that you're feeling overwhelmed and a bit of despair after that ❤️ 

It sounds like you know that speaking to someone would be helpful, so given your psych is out for a while, would you be up for giving the SANE drop-in line a call? 

The details are

Sitting with you ❤️ 

@TuxedoCat  Yes I will give someone a call. Thank you for your response.

no worries @Flotsam, I'm sure others will have some other suggestions too ❤️  

@Flotsam 

Hi Flotsam,

I have been through an IME as well for a workers compensation claim.  I can understand that you found it stressful because I also found it stressful. It was like being poked with a sharp pin repeatedly for an hour!!! When is your next psychology appointment so you can de-brief? 

@Marulu @My appointment is Wednesday, seems so far away, barely got off the couch this week. Also just started on a new antidepressant a week and a half ago, and it is not going well. 

@Flotsam 

I had a medicolegal interview a few months ago.  It was appalling and traumatic and I intend to make a complaint.  They are supposed to assess not aggravate.

Take Care and self soothe til you recover.

@Appleblossom  I may make a complaint but the doctor was very nice, they were very obviously the insurers specific questions right at the end of the appointment. So after more than an hour, I couldn’t think anymore. 

I am sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience. 

Who are complaints made to? and why is it the insurers business when it was something from 40 years ago and I have worked throughout my adult life with barely any days off. 

I haven’t got off the couch all week. It has really set me back, before the IME I was forcing myself to do something every day, it was hard but I was pushing through. 

@Flotsam 

Hearing you about being hardworking all your life but knocked by dragging up all the trauma from the past.  Good on YOU!

Maybe it will take another week.  Not sure. Go gently with yourself and add new things in gradually.

No idea how to make a complaint but plan to follow it up this term.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance