Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Phoenix_Rising
Senior Contributor

Let's make Christmas fun

Good morning Forum Land, Smiley Happy
Just in case you didn't know, it is two weeks until Christmas. I'm super excited!!! Christmas can be SUCH a hard time of the year. As many of you know, I have no family or friends, and consequently I will be spending Christmas day alone, just like I spend every other day of the year alone. However, this will be the twentieth Christmas that I have spent by myself and I kind-of have the hang of it now. It used to be excruciating, but over the years I have developed my own way of navigating the day. I have created family Christmas traditions...just without the family bit. Smiley LOL

To all those Forumites who superly duperly struggle with Christmas, I get it. I really do. For many years it was a truly horrendous time of the year for me. But now I've learnt to make it a fun time in my own quirky way.

This is my first Christmas in Forum Land and I am super looking forward to counting down the days to Christmas here. I totally understand that this thread will not suit everyone. There are threads here and here, which focus on the challenging aspects of this time of year. My hope is that this thread can be a space where those of us who want to enjoy the fun parts of Christmas can do so. Christmas can be oh-so-hard...but despite my muddles and my social isolation, I choose to make Christmas fun. I superly duperly hope you will join me. Smiley Very Happy

https://www.jibjab.com/view/make/beginning_to_look_like_christmas/e43c952f-be6e-49de-b9b9-f5d283c902...

Christmas turtle.jpe

@Queenie @CheerBear @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @Zoe7 @Mazarita @Former-Member @Catcakes @Bubbles3 @TheVorticon @Adge @greenpea @Former-Member @outlander @NikNik @Lauz @Rockpool @Acacia @Scout @Pebbles @Lunar @River9 @Chamomile @Amour_Et_Psyché @Former-Member @suzanne @Former-Member @frog @MDT @utopia @Maggie @Former-Member @Former-Member @Owlunar @Former-Member @Sans911 @Former-Member @Former-Member @TAB @Former-Member @PeppiPatty @soul @Former-Member @Appleblossom @24601 @isos @Jen1561 @eudemonism @Former-Member @sjpersonal @Mountbeauty @BlueBay @Teej @eth @MoonGal @Alone2 @Former-Member @Former-Member@FrailBirdPoet  ...and all the people I just know I've missed tagging! Smiley Very Happy

646 REPLIES 646

Re: Let's make Christmas fun

Awesome idea! @Phoenix_Rising its ny first xmas here too! Its awesome to have a lighthearted thread surrounding this time of yr 😊

@Phoenix_Rising Great Idea Phoenix_Rising! funny you wrote this ... yesterday on my walk I bumped into a gentleman who I have been talking to on and off on walks for roughly a year and he started the topic of what are you doing for Christmas ... anyways ... during our conversation he asked me what I was doing for Christmas and I said nothing just the usual ... well he gave me such a sa, pitying look ... he was going away to somewhere to see one of his daughters ... and he asked again what I was doing he looked amazed I wasn't going to do anything and I said again I was doing nothing just spending Christmas with the children. I am used to that and quite content with that. The thought of doing a huge Christmas spread sends shivers through my spine. I shall be online I am sure on Christmas day unless of course I get a better offer from Dr G!

@greenpea I can totally relate to that pitying look that people give you! I've had that over the years. And I've had people who are basically strangers to me (e.g. my hairdresser) invite me to their place for Christmas day. Yeah, right, because being in a crowd of people I don't know sounds like so much fun - NOT!!!! Smiley Frustrated

That's why I started using the line "I have my own family Christmas traditions...just without the family bit." I've found that it makes the person laugh and then I can shift the conversation back to talking about them.

@Phoenix_Rising I have a thought - yep you read it correctly I HAD A THOUGHT lol....

Could we do the Twelve Days of Christmas before christmas - starting on the 13th and ending on Christmas Eve - where everyone adds in their own version eg....

On the first day of christmas 

My forumites sent to me

A turtle in a calm sea

....then have a really BIG party on Christmas Day with all the things we have 'collected' over the twelve days together Smiley Surprised

Whatcha think?

@Phoenix_Rising I will remember that line ... that's a goody.

Imagine sitting at a table where nobody knows you except they have been all told that you are the one without friends and no where to go this Christmas how awful would that be ... I agree no thanks. 

@Phoenix_Rising Well I don't know about Phoenix_Rising but I think that is a super cute idea lolz!

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Phoenix_Risinggreat idea Smiley Happy

@Zoe7 Oooh I love the idea of the 12 days of Christmas...I nominate you to keep track of that! Smiley LOL

@greenpea I know, right! Who the heck would want to spend Christmas day with the family of someone who you really don't know, just because they felt sorry for you!

By the way @Zoe7 and @greenpea, did the video work ok on whatever device you are using? 

It certainly did @Phoenix_Rising - sooooooooo adorable - well done you Smiley Very Happy

Would it be ok if I started a new thread called 'The 12 Days to Christmas' to keep track and then we could copy all our 'presents' over to this thread at the end of each day?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance