Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Sarah96
New Contributor

Help with anxiety

So I’ve come to the conclusion that I have got a form of anxiety. My Dr had mentioned it a while ago but I instantly ignored the thought as I function so well.

My problem is this. I randomly get bad bouts of gastro, the first time it happened was at 15 when I went on exchange away from home for a year. I just had it constantly for a year. It has started up again and been going for the last 18 months. I don’t know how to deal with it and I don’t know what services are available but I get bed ridden for two days when it starts. I also have two kids that I never leave and have just moved towns. I really want to make a plan for improvement or strategies to recognise I’m feeling anxious before I get to that bedridden stage but have no clue how.
Don’t know if that’s explained it but hope someone has thoughts I can try.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Help with anxiety

Hi @Sarah96 and welcome to SANE forums! 🙂 I'm sure you'll find loads of support from members who live with anxiety.

It is interesting that you say you have lived with gastro for such a long time. Is it possible that this illness is anxiety related? I have experienced gastro-like symptoms (nausea and diarrhoea) as part of the body's flight and fight mechanism. The body basically cannot have normal digestion when it is experiencing anxiety. I am wondering if it is similar for you?

In any case, have you considered talking to your family doctor about your anxiety? It might be a good first point of call. They may refer you to a psychologist which is either free or heavily subsidised for 10 sessions under a mental health care plan (MHCP). 

Again warmest of welcome to the forum! 🙂 

@Queenie I actually don’t notice my anxiety until it becomes gastro but it lines up so often with things that I can’t avoid it anymore. Having recently moved I’m in the process of finding a new gp and trying to find someone I’m comfortable talking with! But for sure! Is there anything I can try and do to like not be anxious? I’m so new to it all and don’t know where to start. I think I just bottle so much up that it’s a manisfestation everything ?

Thank you for the welcome!!!

Hi @Sarah96

Your post resonated with me in the sense that at times I can be quite detached from my feelings and not recognise them, though I dont have the gastro symptoms.  I am wondering if you work on it in a 2 pronged manner ... improving gut health and dealing with the psychology or situations that generate anxiety.

Good Luck with it and Welcome to the forum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance