Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Happy Birthday Queenie

Well my friend thinks that Finlay's was pasted on for the show, but I told her hey, on the ward it was like a hipster thing, I think that black fluff is real gurl.

Peeps like us @Queenie, we aren't Millennials and we aren't  Boomers......we are caught between their 2 worlds.

If I described myself as a Queer Dyke I think that I would burst out laughing because I would feel like such a try hard. When I was growing up Dyke was derogatory, and straight chicks used the word to describe a women they found ugly, and didn't conform to what their man deems attractive, which apparently is terrifying to them.

But I have noticed in the last few years that a lot of people use it similar to how the n word is used by some African American people to describe themselves, and also how cripple is used by people with physical disabilities to describe themselves, as a way to take back ownership from the bullies and claim it as their own. I guess use of words has context  in place and time, but it all seems to keep changing. 

For me Queer has lost its meaning. Pretty much everyone says they're Queer these days. My friend emailed me a funny article on pansexuality that spoke about how it has been appropriated by a lot of straight women who kissed a girl once upon a time and I think that it made some good points. LGBTI are either vilified or used to get votes or make money for non-queer people by enhancing someone's image by making them appear modern, liberal and adventurous, when underneath they are still deeply conservative. 

I think that homophobia is still alive and well, and people disguise it.

Hope that you are dry and toasty

Corny Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance