Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

parenting judgements

hi

i am the mother of a 4 year old and today i had an experience that almost had me in tears. i was in a car park with my son and my partner. my son slipped out of my grip and started to run through the carpark my partner quickly caught him by the wrist and and then carried him kicking and screaming to the entrance of the shops. this woman went off at me telling me im a bad mum for letting my partner treat him that way and that she has photos and is reporting us to child services. i didnt see anything wrong with what he did too our son we just dont want him to get hit by a car. he wasnt smacked he was caught and carried out of the carpark for his safety. im a mum with mental issues as i have complex PTSD and mutli personality this already puts doubt in my mind about my capabilities as a parent how am i suppose to get through the self doubt if im also competing with society judgement?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: parenting judgements

Hi @Former-Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Your partner did the correct thing for your son. Any father or mother would do the same. It's far better to have a kicking and screaming child than one who has been hit by a car.

It's quite possible that this woman hadn't seen your son break away from your hand hold. It happens very easily. One of mine did the same at the side of the road. She ended up kicking and screaming too. At least neither of them ended up squashed by a car.

Rest easy. All will be well.

Hugzzz 💕 🎶
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member.

A huge trigger of mine is nasty judgments and criticisms about my parenting or regarding my kids from people who don't know us. It sends my anxiety through the roof so my heart goes out to you. What you described sounds very reasonable to me and as Kurra has said, a screaming child is far better than one who has been hit by a car. On top of that, it's very normal for a 4 year old to have 'moments' like that and any reasonable person would see that.

Hi @Former-Member, I too believe you and your partner did the right thing. I would suggest that the other woman's behaviour is a problem of hers. I would try to see it that way as a way of easing the unnecessary self doubt. Kind wishes to you and family. 🙂

@Former-Member

You and your partner did the right thing - you protected your child. And so you should have in a car park, it's a dangerous place. 

I understand your concerns, but like what @Mazarita said, it's the other woman's issue not yours. Generally, protective services needs a substantiative evidence before they can get involved. 

@Former-Member. Well done. Your partner did the right thing. He grab your son out of harms way. As any one of us will do.
As hard as it can be at times - especially when we are vulnerable to criticism - you need to block out negative comments from others.
It sounds to me like you and your partner are doing a great job as parents.

Hi @Former-Member

I too have had young children run off on me in a car park and have responded no diffrently. Better to have a screaming child than an accident. Unfortunately there are too many ignorant people out there who just want to feel important. Easier said than done but try not worry too much about it 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance