Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

hi im new

hi im aj ive used my actual nickname that i get called wich is used more than my name. i was introduced to the forum by a friend who thinks ill benefit from it i suffer from 4 anxiety disorders, GAD, PTSD, social anxiety and panic disorder. yes i do have PTSD no i was not in the army just a really really messed up childhood. i am 23 im engaged and i have i 4 yr old and 8 angel babies all miscarriges at diferent stages of pregnancy im not good a childhood reflecting although if asked i do tell ppl what i have been through unless i believe they will either be triggered or just wont believe that i have really been through that much. i do like to meet ppl who have been through similar to myself but i dislike ppl that turn their issues into a compitition of who has the worst. anyway im probably rambling now im gunna leave it at that

17 REPLIES 17

Re: hi im new

Welcome @Former-Member

thanks for being so open and sharing something about yourself Smiley Happy

I think you'll really enjoy the forums 'topic tuesday' tomorrow night (in which a separate thread has a live conversation on a particular subject, often with guest presenter) it's about trauma.

This will also give you a sense of who may be in a similar boat to yourself and a chance to talk about this with others, please join us 7pm-9pm.

Maybe you might like to share how you manage living with an anxiety disorder/s, and what helps day to day??

What do you hope to get from the forums @Former-Member?

Again, welcome.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member, and welcome. There are many on the forums here, survivors of childhood trauma, dysfunctional families, CSA etc. Know what you mean about people being competitive with their stories. My mother wins hands down every time, sucks. Most here are pretty good. I've made the mistake of thinking my childhood wasn't as bad as many horror stories & minimalised my own pain until I discovered 'self compassion therapy' rwcently & mindfulneas which gave mw praxtical tools and allows me to acknowledge & heal myself. Doesn't matter then if anyone outdoes me. Well, still working on this.

I posted a speel on flashbacks yesterday if you want to take a look, and really hope to see you on 'Topic Tuesday' tomorrow, being about trauma.

Maybe drop over to 'night shift' thread some time, any time, usually lots of activity there.
Welcome again 🙂
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi, 

Welcome to the forums, i'm really glad you're here. From what i've seen here on the forums there's been a pretty even mix of people with a range of causes of PTSD from workplace related (first responders like police etc), to people who've had traumatic childhoods (me too), domestic violence (sadly me too), to other traumatic incidents as well. 

I'm sorry to hear of your angel babies, but glad you're able to include them. I have two children a girl who's almost 8 and boy who's 5.

I've struggled alot with the symptoms of anxiety and ptsd which has stopped me from being able to enjoy alot of my life at times, but i guess slowly moving forwards 🙂 though i'm my own worst critic.

hope to see you around the forums more! Once again welcome!

LJ

Hi AJ1,

Welcome to the forums. At 23 you have experienced a lot. I can appreciate your PTSD, and can relate to yours not from being in the armed forces. My PTSD was diagnosed at age 21, triggered by time in hospital at age 3. I wasn't in the armed forces either. 🙂  Most of my issus have only been diagnosed in the past 4 years, and are now being treated. By the way, I am now 46.

I dont know what you are going through, but I do know that you have what it takes to continue. Your being on this forum means that you are actively doing something for support, and in some ways, direction.

All the best to you..

I know what you mean about types who are into competitiveness in pain .. emotional or physical

Smiley SadSmiley Frustrated

I am getting used to letting them 'win' and retreating ... I cant think of any other way to deal with it.

They 'lose' me.

Your post filled me with respect. Thanks for sharing .. no rambling .. it seemed brief and spot on to me.

I will think of your angel babies tonight when I think of my own people who have crossed over. 

regards Apple

Former-Member
Not applicable

thanks i am going to try and be on tonight but it will depend on what goes on today

utopia
Senior Contributor

Hi Aj1. No you don't need to be army to have PTSD. I don't have your background and I still ended up with it.
This is a safe site to say whatever you need to & there is no judgements. What I dislike morethan competing as to who is sicker or had the worse cchildhood - is those not of the MI community who love to give advice as to how to live our lives and 'get over' it all. I laugh at them now. I don't like to waste my time with idiots.
You will find a number of people on this site who will have similar experiences to you. Hopefully they will be able to share with you what you need & vise versa (I can't spell today - mind blank).
Anyway. Just wanted to say hello & glad you found this site.
Former-Member
Not applicable

thank the reason i put in that i was not in the army is that most people i tell that i have ptsd they immeadiatly ask was i in the army i even had someone say that only ppl who have been in the army can get ptsd it really does get annoying because im suppose to be forth coming about my mental illnesses but ppl dont believe or think it an exsageration then are freaked out when i have an attack or if im there over night if i have a night terror they think they should try and wake me as they have never had to deal with someone who experiences them 

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member. I've never had anyone tell me that. Maybe become I let them know I got PTSD from a workplace incident. My town knows I worked Admin in Mental Health Service. No one has ever asked what happened. They just jump to conclusions. I'm happy to leave them with their own imaginations. Those true friends have cared enough to ask questions and to find out more about MI.
My bf wanted to know what to do to help. I explained how my panic attacks coukd occur out of the blue and how I needed to remember I'm safe and to do my breathing exercise. Last attack was at her house. Her family surrounded me during my attack. Then my bf comes over - tells them to go away & gives the 'look' (don't argue with me - lol). Then tells me I'm safe. I'm in a safe place. Breath in etc etc. she just kept repeating it. It was my shortest attack ever and the last one I've had.
It's important our friends know what can happen and what we do or do not need when it happens.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance