Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kurra
Community Elder

Thems the breaks!

Well........ I was told today that I've been considered unsuitable for the position I was chosen for by the area.
No assessment. Just on the basis of my diagnosis and past history.
None of my treating team were contacted and the letter from my psychologist was left unread.
Yes I'm a bit upset and concerned about the manner in which the decision was made but I'm OK . Fortunately my skin appears to be getting thicker as I age.
I may or may not take this matter further. Semantics can make all sorts of things that are not right, sound right.
Hugzzz to all.
Such is life eh?
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Thems the breaks!

Hi @Kurra maybe it didn't happen because something better is just around the corner, you never know.

Perhaps. That old adage 'when one door closes another opens' is often very true. Time will tell eh? It's still a bit of a bummer though....... Thems the breaks.

Hi @Kurra,

if you are anything like me, things like this can feel like rejection and can make us feel very deflated. I'm not quite sure of the circumstances and the position you went for, but if it was something you really wanted then you are bound to feel disappointed.

If it was simply a case of your not meeting certain criteria, then don't take it too personally. It just means they had other applicants who did meet their criteria and of course they feel compelled to give those people a go. Sadly, that's how it goes. 

I remember once I went for a job which I knew I was extremely well-suited for. But technically, I didn't have the exact relevant experience that they were looking for, so I did not even get an interview. I didn't get a chance to prove myself. The person they hired barely lasted 6 months in the position! I thought "Ah-ha! They should have hired me!" But of course they just have to meet certain criteria with their applicants, so this is the be-all and end-all that they go by.

Also, sometimes these things are rigged and someone who has a personal contact within the organization ends up getting the job. Favoritism - it's so common.

I agree with the comment above. Something better will come along for you!

Hi @Sahara
I'd already been chosen as the preferred candidate. Because of the nature of the work a psych assessment was required. This is so for all people working in the area. My objection is that I was not given the opportunity to do this assessment. I was rejected principally because of my diagnosis.
In many ways it would have been my dream job.
It's not the end of the world. I do have a job and I am grateful.

Sounds like discrimination to me.  

Hmm - it's a very fine line. I agree. I suspect this may become a rather interesting situation.

Hugs @Kurra

And let's not ignore the huge victory of your response to this. More power to you!

More huggles... 🙂

Hi @Kurra

Hugs for your feelings of disappointment.  I hope it was just a redirect tho.  

Maybe someone else needs to learn a lesson out of this, and your feelings of disappointment won't be wasted if they result in a breakthrough somewhere else.

Maybe there is something better for you waiting around the corner, and this opportunity would have made you unavailable for that one, which can serve you better.

I hope it's both, actually.

While I have had empathy in the past for people with MI challenges, our current state of affairs has been a real eye-opener.  I think nothing teaches you like personal experience !!  I have a daughter with Down syndrome.  Leaning on the go, all the time, and she is a joy.  Not what most people expect, but she's an education 😊

Sending squishy healing happy hugs your way @Kurra... 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance