Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

No Resume

I recently searched for my resume and realised I may have thrown it out after a hospital stay. I thought I wouldn't be able to work again. I'm not sure how to put together a new resume. I don't have a memory of the dates/years I worked. The companies I worked for have either closed down or no-one is left who knew me. A significant part of my working life I worked for multiple temp agencies. I don't remember the names of those companies. It has been almost a decade since I worked in an office.
I started a course to get my skills current and have qualifications for my new resume. I still need to explain my lack of resume. No provable evidence of my work experience. I'm not sure what to do.
10 REPLIES 10

Re: No Resume

Hi @janedoe2,

I've had a number of different jobs in the past couple of years and I've noticed a lot of people don't really read my resume, anyway!  They seem to go on interview skills and personality and of course, first impressions, but I think it depends a lot on what type of work you are looking for?

I would start by getting a very basic resume together... it's fine to mention companies that now longer exist or that no longer have anyone you know working there. You still worked for them and learnt new skills, got heaps of experience and learnt to work in a team, etc, and these things are important.

Just go for the approximate dates you worked for these companies, after all, it was over 10 years ago, so approximations are fine. You don't have to mention months, just years. 

If you don't have recent work experience, then just list your skills in point form

ie, * Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel 

* Customer sales and service skills

* Experienced with using a cash register and balancing the days takings

These are just examples - you know what you can do. Always emphasize you strengths- if you love to do something- then make a point of that.

Then make a list of your personal qualities that make you valuable as an employee;

* I'm very flexible

* I enjoy teaching others

* I'm friendly and approachable  

- or whatever you would like to say about yourself.

Don't forget your education. If you completed your high school certificate, then you should say this. 

List any courses you have done- it doesn't matter if they were only short courses or things you did for free on-line. 

Definitely mention if you have a degree in something, even if it is not exactly relevant to the jobs you are going for.... a degree shows that you can commit to study and complete it. It shows perseverance.

For your experience in temping- just say something like;

2001 - 2006 Temping at various placements throughout ___ (name of city)

Then go on to list the skills you learnt through doing this. For example;

* Able to adapt quickly to new work environments

I wish I could write this for you, @janedoe2. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good Luck!

TAB
Senior Contributor

..or @janedoe2 @Sahara well, maybe and/or ..have seen in piles of resumes on passing visits to office things like, skills first, then years of 'self employment' .. wish I had thought of that sometimes, also have been told by people that they regularly use fake referees ie mates ..it works apparently

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

Sahara thank you so much for your reply. Having read it I'm feeling more confident I'll be able to put together a resume. With my past experience and skills joined with my current study you've given me a way to present my information clearly.
I've contacted a place I did some volunteer work in their office. They are happy to give me a reference.
Again thanks for your reply.
janedoe2
Senior Contributor

@Sahara thank you so much for your reply. Having read it I'm feeling more confident I'll be able to put together a resume. With my past experience and skills joined with my current study you've given me a way to present my information clearly.
I've contacted a place I did some volunteer work in their office. They are happy to give me a reference.
Again thanks for your reply.

Good point, @TAB. Plenty of people tells lies on their resumes and also use fake references. I hope they get caught!

I think it's best to be honest. Even though I have been treated very badly by a few employers, I refuse to stoop to their level and I'm honest and up-front with my references and work experience.

If you don't have recent work references, then just use 'personal' references. These can be people you know socially who hold responsible positions. Teachers, nurses, local government people or civil servants. Or any friends who have known you for a long time and that can speak articulately. If you ever had someone who supervised you in a volunteer position, then they would make a good referee.

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine worked as a Receptionist and got a promotion. They interviewed over 100 applicants to replace her position. The company chose 3 that were candidates. The one they finally chose had fake references and was refused the position.
I don't think it is worth going through the stressful process of job seeking with fake anything.
Honesty is my only policy @TAB.

That is a very funny story, @janedoe2!

Firstly, speaking as someone who worked in management, I think they interviewed far too many candidates. They should have narrowed it down to 10 people only. If there were more stand-out applicants than this, then they could conduct brief phone interviews to narrow it down... a much better use of their time.

Secondly, it's interesting that a dishonest person was chosen for the job, out of 100 possible candidates! The interviewers were probably not very good judges of character. They probably chose a sociopath, as sociopaths can be very persuasive, charming and confident. 

However, for a receptionist position, I would rather someone who was efficient, self-contained and reliable. Sociopaths are more suited to sales positions. 

Just a few observations. Smiley WinkSmiley Tongue

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

Hello @Sahara.
I got a reference from a not for profit centre I was volunteering at. I have the beginning of a resume and am feeling like I'm putting together a future.

That's great news @janedoe2. It can be difficult getting all the bits and pieces together for a resume. I so hope you will be successful ultimately.
Take care and Good luck with your applications.
🎶💕
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance