Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: New diagnosis - schizoaffective bipolar type

Thanks for your reply @Kurra!
What kind of therapy did you do, out of interest?

I did some DBT with a well meaning mh nurse but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I then got a couple of books on CBT and started applying some CBT elements and a couple of DBT elements to make a therapy that works for me. I've also adopted various concepts from multiple religious / spiritual philosophies.

It's been a journey of discovering what works for me and also realising that as I change I also need to be prepared to change those strategies to adapt to the emerging me.

I'm afraid I can be a bit of a radical and it all started after I asked my pdoc at the time what I could do to help myself apart from taking medication. We had a full on argument about his reply which was ' Nothing, it's a biochemical illness and medication is the only thing that can be done '.
I was furious and we yelled at one another so much that the receptionist knocked and came in to check we weren't doing one another any harm. True story! 🎶💕

My doc also says its biological - but I think she also sees the place for therapy.
Ive just bought a book on CBT, DBT and ACT and figured reading them wouldn't hurt and can only help. Still waiting to hear about the therapy the doc in hospital recommended.

P.S. Do you still see the same doc?

@Kurra I wouldn't regard you as a radical, there is research to say psychotic illness aren't helped by inflammation of the brain caused by high fat, high processed sugary foods. I've been told to avoid anything white including potatoes, white bread, white rice as well as artificial colours and flavours. I try but not always adhere to it (living with two junk food fanatics makes it difficult). I also found from the pdoc that regular exercise can reduce the effects of psychosis as well as mood changes (it's more than just endorphins coursing around, it helps regulate dopamine too). 

I'm doing CBT / meditation with my psychologist and I find it suits me. I've just got to learn to avoid overthinking (which CBT will help with immensely if done correctly).

I LOL at your story about your pdoc and you yelling at each other. I've had similar arguments with ones in the past in the public system. 

@Former-Member
That pdoc went o/s to work so he referred me to another pdoc 300kms away. I go to see him personally 2 x a year but all other appointments are by phone or are Skype style.

Exercise is brilliant @Queenie! It's made such a difference to the whole me. I walk at least 6 kms every day (fast walking) and on days off even more.

Hugzzz 💕 🎶

Hi all, just catching up on this now!

To answer your med question @Kurra I take an antipsychotic, a mood stabiliser and an anti depressant. I also take another antipsychotic PRN when needed (re when hallucinations get bad as a 'buffer' or I am so wired and haven't slept for awhile). The antidepressant is for dep, but also for major OCD.

I think exercise is absolutely crucial ...... unfortunately MI can be a real hurdle in accessing the very thing (exercise) that can really help us.

I have very much learnt to live with my MI and I have also accepted I will most likely never be symptom free.... I am high functioning yes...... Am I well managed? Sort of ..... Am I symptomatic? all the bloody time! But it's become me....

Last year I tried to do therapy for my OCD after it was becoming apparent my eldest had developed OCD and was picking up my behaviour ( she know is very much OCD...something that frightens me as I know the road ahead....yes she sees a psych).....but I found it so confronting and overwhelming because I have lived with it since around the age of 11 and who am I without it??? It was a real identity crisis and I couldn't face it to be honest.... It was to scary... I had no idea who I was without OCD.

Anyway I've rambled enough!!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance