Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

musha
Contributor

Mental illness and Insurance Claims

Hi,

I have seen some comments about DSP and DES and people struggling financially because of mental illness.  Ive contributed to another thread about it but thought to start a new one because there are ways for you to get money if you are sick enough and most people don't know it.

Everyone has super.  Most super funds offer default life insurance and total permanent disability cover.  Even if you work for a milkbar and are paid a small wage, you have super and you will have some type of insurance cover within it.

The requirements to access disability cover from within super are strict.  The definitions for TPD cover held outside of super are a little more generous.

Basically, get 2 doctors to say you:

"are unlikely ever to be able to engage in remunerative work again" - for policies within super

"are unlikely to engage in any occupation for which you are qualified by education, training or experience"

If you can cover the first base, you are set.  Definitions vary but meet the first test will trigger any TPD policy.

I have just been through the process and beat the insurer on a claim for Bipolar Disorder.  They try hard to deny mental illness claims but I won.

So, if you've been struggling with a Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder or any other major disorder recognised in the DSM, you may be able to claim on your life insurance policies within or outside of super.

Its worth a look.  It can change your life.  I have met so many people in hospital who are so sick and know nothing about this.  They think that mental illness would not justify a claim.   Well thats wrong.  If you are disabled from work, you may be able to claim.

Good luck!  I hope my message would help someone somewhere financially.  I have found these blogs so useful and hope I can help others too.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mental illness and Insurance Claims

Hi @musha I had never heard about this before, so I'm sure many of our fellow members here will be in the same boat and will be keen to find out if they're eligible. It would be a wonderful thing for people if they could claim the insurance, what a world of difference this could potentially make for peoples circumstances. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience in this area 🙂

@musha. Timely information. I was just emailed a couple of days ago the forms I need to fill in to make a claim against my income insurance - through my super fund.
I kept being told that I had no insurance. It took lawyers to get them to sort out their error. 2 years I couldn't claim. But if my claim now gets approved - as I'm hopeful it will - it will get back dated. Still talking less than $10,000. But it will help pay off some big debts & maybe a 4 or 5 day holiday at a caravan Park near the beach for my son and I next year. Oh and definitely some new clothes for me. Haven't bought anything for myself since my injury - except a cheap packet of undies - lol.
I'm sure your advice will help many people in this forum. Thank you for posting it.

Mental illness can be so disabling and I found it impossible to continue any type of consistent career.  It just felt so terrible to not be able to consistently provide for my family.  Such a failure I have felt like.

The one saviour for me was the smartest decision I ever made about 20 years ago to take out bundle of income protection, life insurance and disability policies.

I never realised that I could claim for my Bipolar Disorder.

The insurance companies fought my claim and I had to take them to court.  I won!

Not everyone has insurance out side of super, but almost everyone will have some kind of disability policy within super.  

I used one of the plaintiff law firms to help me understand my rights.   I encourage everyone that cannot work due to mental illness to explore whether you can claim. 

Hi @musha

What a great self advocate you are! Thank you for sharing, I'm sure many people will be interested to know this.

Nik
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance