Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Loneliness

Hi @chibam

You speak great truth and I hear that your views are informed by nothing other than loved experience. This is truth that resonates.

Thank you for sharing

While I'm thinking of it - dating apps are quite toxic. I have dropped off the grid on them.
I have an account and I get matched. But I am not myself and I am finding my path and calling in life. I find it's a distraction to worry about sex and dating. I also came to a realisation not long ago about how I need more genuine social connections in my life. I am losing it. And I fear it may not return

Sorry last thing I promise.

Fakeness is hard to navigate in others. How can I be more genuine when others are not?

But I keep being genuine. I keep trying. Life is not rich and worth it if you can't be genuine DESPITE what is going on around you
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Hey @MDT just stopping by to check in with you. Sounds like you're doing a lot of reflecting at the moment, especially about relationships in your life and the difficulty of navigating it all in the modern world. We simply weren't meant to exist like this, in my opinion - so disconnected from ourselves and nature and each other. 

Dating apps are daunting! I wish there was one that was just for making friends! Or even for finding shared interests - I mean there's so many social media platforms it's hard to actually find a welcoming space. I think this is why I spend a lot of time on Reddit, and only join very specific facebook groups that I know are safe spaces. 

I don't think you have to know where you are going in life to be able to find people who can accept you just as you are. Sometimes I have to remind myself that pretty much everyone is looking to connect - the trick is finding people you can feel comfortable to be yourself around. And then of course, the other trick is working out how to be yourself! 

I've always seen you as a very genuine person, so kudos for carrying that energy with you into the world - it sorely needs more people like you Heart

I completely agree @Jynx

"I don't think you have to know where you are going in life to be able to find people who can accept you just as you are"

Perhaps I just wish it was more common practice

@chibam I'm so sorry to hear of how people have treated you, those sound like really harmful relationships. I admire the courage you have to continuely show up in social situations, in spite of your experiences. You mentioned that, while superficial, you've felt less lonely amongst strangers. Is that something you feel you could explore more?

"I live not out of willingness, but out of bitter obligation." This is something that used to ring so true for myself. Hold on to that hope for love, you are deserving of it Heart 

Hi @cloudcore @chibam

I do hope you're having good days

My mindset is warped atm as lots is happening.

I have taken a quick 5 Min break from my work

May i just list a few things here to process

- this girl I spoke to earlier has not replied and I believe she is either too busy or is just avoiding me. So I'll just do the same. What bugs me most about it is that we shared a lot of history with our mental health. Idk. I guess I just wanted empathy. The ship has sailed. But its okay. I at least tried to go aboard.

- I am doing some stuff with work I don't like. This is part of the job. But perhaps I just need to look past it. In another 2 weeks I will know if this is for me.

- I am struggling a lot with feelings of loneliness.

@MDT I think it takes a lot of bravery and kindness to let someone go/not lead someone on when we ourselves are yearning for connection. I can see you have a great heart, self awareness and values which will carry you really far Heart

On your point about losing genuine connections and other's being fake/ lacking authencity, your stress and frustration is completely understandable. I feel this at times too, especially with social media. Occassionly though I do hold onto my vulnerability and honesty with others, despite their inability to be the same, and those relationships do change over time. I think others are often just afraid/lack trust in others to be genuine and need someone to take the plunge first. Sometimes though people are just disinterest in being true/real, and in those situations being genuine is more about feeling good about myself, rather than forcing a connection with them. What is something about yourself that you always stay true to?

@MDT I also just saw your post, I'm sorry to hear that this person has not responded to you. That can be hurtful Heart Do you often feel lonely at work?

hey @cloudcore
thanks for writing that - there is a lot of truth in it

that question about staying true to myself is a hard one because i actually feel that this ear has been about staying true to an idea or a motivation as opposed to myself

It's hard at this stage.

I am going to bring my psych appointment forward again

There's a lot going on

But i do echo what you said about so much.

I'm really messed up atm
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance