Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Daisy3
Contributor

Feeling like I have to keep taking big breath

I feel like I have to keep taking big breaths and I'm not getting enough
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Feeling like I have to keep taking big breath

Hi @Daisy3

I've seen in other posts that you have said you have panic attacks. Is this what's going on for you at the moment?

We were just running a session on Mindfulness tonight, and did the activity below together. Not sure if that will help.

No panic attack ATM just very conscious of feeling short of breath

Please take care of yourself @Daisy - if you think there is something physically wrong, then it's worth going to the hospital just to be safe.

If not though - maybe try the video I suggested above. Being conscious of and listening to your breath can be a really good thing. It can help you slow it down and bring it back to a resting pace.

It happens a lot and I've had it checked

@Daisy3. I used to get panic attacks. When I wasn't having one, I was worried about having one.
I soon discovered - especially in the evenings - that my breathing wasn't right. Due to the panic attacks, my natural breathing rhythm changed.
I then found practicing focusing on breathing in and breathing out - like the post attachment above - that I was able to get my normal breath back. It also helped when I had a panic attack to refocus on my breath.
I do this exercise twice a day.
I hope by doing the exercise above - that you can rslax your breathing and find your symptoms stop.
All the best

Hi @Daisy3

If asthma and heart/lung disease has been ruled out, what you are experiencing with not being able to take full breaths is anxiety. What @utopia said about breathing exercises (breathe in slow one, two, three - out one, two three) should help. It will also help relax your body as it's being tensed up from your mind being in stressful/fearful/worry state. Then there's being anxious about panic and further attacks. Vicious cycle.

Too break it besides doing the above - keep your mind busy and distracted on other things. This will push the anxious worrying thoughts out. As will also thinking positive - don't allow your mind to dwell on the worst case scenario ( catastrophe thinking). But instead focus your thoughts only on the good only in your life each day, no matter how small. And keep your thoughts in the present - not worrying about the future.  Practise this as its the best way to rid yourself of anxiety in my life experience, always hoping for a good outcome each day. Pushing through the hard bits with this positive mindset. All will be well - keep telling yourself that, hoping in it and believing it. And anxiety will subside.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance