Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

JaneDoe1
Contributor

Out and About

Started a short writing course today. It was the first time in a long time that I've gone out and about for me.
I feel positive and enthusiastic. It is only for five weeks which is long enough. I found out that there is a group for writing that gets together every fortnight. Might check it out.
Looking forward to more out and about moments. They are very good for my mental health.
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Out and About

That's fantastic @JaneDoe1. It's a great reminder that there are other aspects to recovery, which includes doing things that make you feel good, and getting out and about.

I can't wait to hear more about your course. Got any writing ideas in mind? Or just going to go with the flow of the course?

And how was it getting out? Were there any nerves?

It's a creative writing course and I'm learning how to develop a character. Great fun. I'm going with the flow of the course but feel I might get bitten by the writing bug. Who knows...I might write a book.
Getting out was a little nerve wracking. Was doubting if I should go a few days ago but decided I should try it out and see if it was for me. I gave myself a pep talk on the way there this morning and was pleasantly surprised that the people were friendly and there for similar reasons.
I have struggled recently getting out on my own and am pleased at my progress. It gets easier the more I try. : )

Learning about character development sounds fun! 

It's amazing how we can doubt ourselves. I'm so glad to hear you pushed through. More often than not, it usually turns out to be a rewarding experience. 

Hi @JaneDoe1 

Congratulations on stepping out there and taking on the creative writing course! It can feel incredibly exhilarating to finally commit to something new just for YOU, especially if this is something you have avoided or put aside for a long while. In my own experience, I find this can sometimes create a snowball effect of more positive life experiences to come. Positive change begets more positive change, so to speak!

A few others members have recently set about achieving some of their own personal goals… like @Drac0 working on phography, or @Former-Member doing yoga, or @Former-Member implementing a more regular routine of running and walking. @MoonGal and @Mazarita are also working on their own personal goals as well. Good on you all! It's great to see such proactive self-care happening on the Forums lately. What an inspiration and motivation you continue to be to one another 🙂

JaneDoe1 Is writing something you have always enjoyed, or is this something new you're experimenting with? 

@JaneDoe1, sounds really interesting and challenging. Good on you for tackling something you are really interested in and overcoming the colly-wobbles to get there. Look forward to hearing more about the course and your writing.

@Mosaic wow, you guys really pay attention to whats going on around here! I think I'm going to like it here. Smiley Happy

@JaneDoe1 congrats on getting out for the course. I'm finding getting out & about with my photography seems to be helping me. Yesterday at dawn I was down by the water taking a walk & getting some photos of the sunrise. A few hours later I went to my hometown and walked around for an hour or so taking pics of childhood memories. Getting exercise I need & doing something that makes me happy.

While the photography is a new thing for me, writing is something that came to me along with my depression many years ago - it was an escape. It actually started when I was down after the passing of an old friend. I sat down and wrote a poem to read at his funeral. Some day I hope to be able to put interesting stories to my photos.

Sounds like a great little course, not too long & a friendly atmosphere. Hope it all goes very well. Might have to see if there is something similar available around here. Won't hold my breath hoping lol.

Cheers

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the mention @Mosaic - I've actually only managed to run 4 times this year. I have however been going to yoga twice a week (MOST weeks) since early October last year. For the last 3 weeks I have gone to yoga 3 x each week. 

Namaste, 

A

I wrote some poetry at school. Writing lyrics self taught. That is it so far. Creative writing is new for me.

@JaneDoe1

Everything I do is self taught, so it's not all bad. Smiley Tongue

Creative writing is good, it's all about expressing yourself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance