Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

JaneDoe1
Contributor

Changing Medication

I have been getting side effects from my medication and am in the process of changing it at the end of the month through a psychiatrist.
I am concerned the change may cause me to get ill. I have only been put on medication when I was ill and hospitalised. I haven't changed it while I'm stable and well. Any advise?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Changing Medication

Hi @JaneDoe1

Welcome to the Forums.

Both the good and bad news is that many members have been in a similar situation with their medication. Often members talk about how much work and patience it took to find the right medication and dosage.

While members aren't able to discuss specific medications or dosages (see more in the Community Guidelines), many members have some great tips and strategies they used while persevering to find the right medication.

Does anyone want to share their experiences?

G'day @JaneDoe1,

It's a bit tricky giving advice as different meds can have different effects on individual people due to various factors (health, other meds, other health issues etc).

My advice would be to speak to your doctor about it. Ask if they can give you any information about the efffects, and ask what can be done to minimise it. 

You might also want to try contacting an Alcohol and Drugs Information telephone service. The phone numbers differ from state to state, but if you google it, you should be able to find a phone number to a free service where you can speak to a drug and alcohol counsellor.

Hi @JaneDoe1,

Changing medications has been a variable experience for me: sometimes it has been difficult, sometimes it's been smooth, mostly it's probably been somewhere in between. My best advice would be to prepare for a temporary time when you may not feel as stable as you've become accustomed to. As @BeHappy has already suggested, best thing to do first off is talk to your psychiatrist about it. It may particularly be worth asking what to do in the case that you get into any significant distress (eg., will your psychiatrist be available to you in this case either by telephone or early appointment?).  Remember too that we are here on the forum if you need to talk about anything through the changeover time. Best wishes!

Hi @JaneDoe1

I just to add to @Mazarita's wonderful suggestion about being prepared to have some temporary time when you might not be feeling well. 

When adjusting meds it can be taxing both physically and emotionally. So where you can, try and ensure that you have comfortable and stable environment for this period of time. For instance, make sure that your household isn't chaotic and/or there's not much more change going on in your life. 

Treat as though you were experiencing an other type of sickness, and give yourself the time off that you need to get well. That might mean staying in bed, or sofa watching day time TV, and resting in general. 

Hope it all goes well.

CherryBomb

Thank you all for your responses. Some realistic advise. I feel less anxious knowing it will possibly be challenging or not. Also asking the right questions.

I'm in the same boat, transitioning off a medication I'd fought against taking for years due to known side effects, which came to fruition (with bells on). Now I'm on two meds, building up the replacement slowly before I can stop taking the first one. Not ideal, but I know it's the best way to transition and my doctor is providing great guidance and support. Once I'm fully on the new one, I'll have to sort out losing the massive amount of extra weight! *sigh*

I'm currently reducing dosage and will be checking levels effected. Hopefully the reduction will lower them. If not I'm then required to change medication. I'm glad that I am trying to reduce first as I like the medication I'm on.
Charli hope all goes well with your transition.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance