Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Shy newbie ☺

Hi @Stacks 

Opening up in therapy can be quite difficult sometimes. It's hard to be vulnerable with people we don't know. It's hard when we don't feel understood. I have learned when I don't feel listened to, understood or validated, the best thing to do is actually discuss my feeling and perceptions. People generally don't misunderstand or invalidate on purpose. I have found therapists to be grateful when I have opened up and been honest about my thoughts/emotions/perceptions/barriers. 

Maybe try to figure out what is getting in the way of opening up? Ask your self "what is the threat here?" Also, it is ok to only discuss things when you are ready. Therapists shouldn't push you before you are ready. In saying that, it's also not a good idea to use it to avoid feeling and dealing with emotions/events for a long time. It can take a few sessions with a therapist to feel comfortable and trust them. It might be an idea to tell your therapist you're having trouble opening up. They may help you explore why. This may allow you to figure out your barriers. Some therapists aren't the right fit for us too. If it is a patterns with all of them though, it is a good idea to address this head on. 

Re: Shy newbie ☺

• Welcome to our space. 
  • We can be a support and give you ideas on strategies or just be there.
  • Be well, each day is a new adventure but on your terms.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance