Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

eth
Community Elder

Dignity of Risk definition

Thinking lots of people on the forums might be interested in this.  My support worker told me about it.   The Dignity of Risk :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_of_risk

Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities[edit]

The first of eight "guiding principles" of the United Nations' Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities states: "Respect for inherent dignity, individual autonomy including the freedom to make one’s own choices, and independence of persons."[18]

Why is it important to support dignity of risk for individuals with a disability?
Dignity of Risk refers to the right of all people to undertake some tasks that have a level of risk. ... Dignity of Risk should mean that support services encourage the disabled to make their own informed choices.

@nashy @s-jay  not sure how to share this on the carers forum, but it might help some over there too.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Dignity of Risk definition

Thanks @eth  - maybe @Shaz51 or another carer might want to share it??

Hi @eth 

A really important topic, so thankyou 🖐

Dignity of Risk is a well debated issue among disability services. It's a subjective and individualised subject due to fear leading the charge in promoting an independent healthy lifestyle vs taking over 'just in case'. It's more obvious in case management with the risk of seizures while bathing in mind, but not so cut and dry for individuals with MH problems.

Assessing risk for people with MH issues when their behaviour/symptoms cause financial ruin or harm to themselves or others, (for example) and not having enough quality advocacy and relevant services to support findings, continues to frustrate.

One of the main concerns seems to be the lack of clarity and understanding of what's required or expected. We can all attest to how draining and confusing it can be to navigate legal or formal paperwork or prioritise daily tasks when our mind's not performing as it should. This is often interpreted as a lack of intellect or laziness.

I don't know how many times I've tried to explain why I missed appts or didn't submit required paperwork on time or at all; many times confronted by judgemental and glaring stares from consultants. Have I been a risk to myself in how I live? Absolutely! Yet, what options did/do I have? I, like others, wing it as best as we can.

Identifying risk is only half the process; it's how to get from there to a lifestyle that significantly lowers that risk. Then, assessing if DOR is relevant, can be included.

A great topic Eth!!

**Edit: For all those poor souls who've been scheduled against their will, or experienced forced medication processes, I in no way am neglecting to agree with your right to decide what's best for you. It's critical you have a voice, are heard and validated. I'd love to read your opinions. xo Heart

Thanks @Hope4me   my support worker told me about it because I have a friend coming to visit that I used to be involved with.  We talked about all the pros and cons and what it would mean for me to get involved again.  That it would involve a type of risk, that of opening my heart after a long time of being single.  

The way I see it there are many types of everyday risk that people with and without MH take, and the right to take them (when the benefits of success are a goal and there is a strategy for dealing with not succeeding) is an important part of having choice and control in our lives.

I guess it's a case of weighing up the degree of risk and every situation is different.  I agree about not risking harm, financial hardship, housing instability etc

I totally agree with you that :

"Identifying risk is only half the process; it's how to get from there to a lifestyle that significantly lowers that risk. Then, assessing if DOR is relevant, can be included."

Ah, ok. I get the relevance now.

I must admit your decision to look at this situation the way you are is admirable, pragmatic and in line with risk assessment criteria, so well done!

I'm not sure what happened between you both previously, but it's something to use as a guide when deciding what's best. For those of us who've had our hearts wounded on more than one occasion, getting back on that horse so to speak would be difficult. I'm a bit envious of your bravery to be honest.

I hope things work out for all concerned. You deserve it!

Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance