Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Chat: Safer Internet Day // Tues 8th February, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Completely agree @HenryX, I really love the ideas you have listed here, and you have led the example tonight in supporting @Mum8 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Chat: Safer Internet Day // Tues 8th February, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Careful, respectful and non intrusive enquiry about situation and circumstances.

Really based on the active listening principles and developing what has already been offered.

I am conscious of situations such as yours @CrazyChick , where we also need to feel comfortable with our own boundaries and asking (gently though firmly) for those to be respected

That's so true @HenryX, and I think you've really hit the nail with the point about it being aligned with the active listening principles. I'm going to provide a link to these here in case anyone reading along isn't familiar with them.

@Daisydreamer @HenryX @Former-Member 
I think even when we don't have information to give someone to help them, clicking on the support button is encouraging as I think it"s a way of validating what the person has said.

Yes @Mum8 

I like to think of it as an acknowledgement button as well.

Absolutely @Mum8, I think it's important to validate the time and bravery it takes for people to be so open in an online space such this one. A little "thumbs up" goes a long way 😊

Question 3: When we think about online spaces that feel kind and respectful, what sorts of behaviours and communication are we seeing in those spaces? What makes an online space feel welcoming and respectful?

I am often someone that reads and observes before I step into a space. The key things I look for are: how people are supporting each other/talking to each other and whether I feel the spaces matches my personal values.

If people are talking respectfully, and I feel like sharing in a space will help me to stay connected with friends or family, or make new connections I will. But I am also very very careful what I share online (especially photos), and have been really conscious of my digital footprint for many years. 

@Mum8 Support button can be so helpful to validate, and to let others know you are listening and there for them Heart

I think you make a very good point there @Daisydreamer when you mention taking the time to observe before responding in online spaces. Given the nature of the internet and us all responding from behind a screen, I've found it quite disheartening at times to see how quickly people can respond with anger in some online spaces (i.e. social media).

Since joining SANE I've been genuinely blown away by how many members in this community (literally thousands!) follow these principles of safety, respect and kindness. I think it's a real testament to SANE members and the level of care we all show one another 💛

We are coming to the end of our time tonight, but we are going to be keeping this conversation going throughout the week with a new question each day! Thank you to everyone who joined us tonight @HenryX @Mum8 @CrazyChick @RandleMcMurphy , and we hope you check back in throughout the week to keep adding your thoughts and experiences 🙂 

The next few days we will be exploring:

- Internet bullying

- Cybersecurity and how we keep our personal information private and safe 

- Actions we can take as a community to keep this space safe

- Actions we can take as individuals to stay safe online

- Supports available if you are concerned about your internet use and safety online

Thank you @Former-Member for being here tonight and sharing support and resources with members of our community 🙂 

Speak with you all tomorrow morning for question 4!