Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Being a Carer in a Regional Community // Tues 19th March, 7pm AEDT

No carer support groups anywhere near me that I am aware of. @Arafmi_Ltd @nashy 

I receive a carer's allowance, not the payment. I gave up work almost 2 yrs ago to care for hubby 24/7. When told I qualified for a DVA partners service pension late last year, I now also receive a part pension. It all helps, as it was hard when I stopped working. Both financially, socially and just feeling worthwhile in general.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Being a Carer in a Regional Community // Tues 19th March, 7pm AEDT

i know what you mean @Former-Member , I have been rejected twice so far from carers payments  or allowances

I think understanding what carer support suits us personally and how to get the best out of it took me a while. 

As "things happened" while Mr Darcy was in hospital, I was frustrated by some of the responses I had and limitations in relation to the support I needed.

What are some other ways you can exercise self-compassion when caring for our loved ones? 

ammmm good question @Arafmi_Ltd , @nashy 

Some ways of exercising self compassion are; taking time out to go for a walk alone, take a bath, read a chapter in a book, getting to a support group can be difficult, we have established that.... calling a friend or as mentioned on here tonight finding a circle of people that get it and can meet for a coffee so you can download. All these things can give you greater ability to cope better with the stresses of caring for a loved one. 

@Arafmi_Ltd, I like having time to sit and read a magazine

having a cuppa on the front steps

having a soak in ur small bathtub --- very rare

@Shaz51  Struggling for ideas? It can be hard to even take the time to reflect on self-care. For me the simple things like laying down and making playlists, or popping the diffuser on and having a read 🙂 Love these ideas @Arafmi_Ltd 

I did a course with Wellways that adapted the CHIME recovery model to suit carers - it was really helpful.images (72).jpeg

Whoa @Former-Member  This is incredible 🙂 Heart! Especially love the empowerment piece.

@Shaz51  The system does not make it easy. The carer allowance does not have an income test applied, so I was getting that while working. Its not a lot, only about $127 a fortnight. And although I am not pension age yet, I can get a (part) partners service pension (income and assets tested just the same as aged pension) early because hubby is DVA and is deemed to be totally and permanently incapacitated.

I hope you battle the red tape again, and rightfully get approved next time. Whether its NDIS, carer payment, or whatever. If you cant get it, maybe Mr Shaz could get it as carer for you? 😉

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance