Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

tyme
Community Lead

National Reconciliation Week 2022 - Be Brave. Make Change. 27th May to 3rd June.

NRW2022_Web-Banner.png

SANE Australia acknowledges and pays respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and Elders of this nation and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. 

This year, the theme for National Reconciliation Week is:

Be Brave. Make Change.

What does this mean?

We are acknowledging the unfinished work of reconciliation - first, in our own lives, then in society. 

Be Brave. Make Change. challenges all Australians (individuals, families, communities, organisations and government) to be brave in making change in their everyday lives. It encourages us to learn about our shared histories, cultures, and achievements, as well as consider ways each of us can contribute to achieving reconciliation in Australia.

When is it and why?

National Reconciliation Week falls on 27 May to 3 June each year. 

These 2 dates commemorate two significant milestones in the reconciliation journey:

1) 27 May 1967 

On this day, Australia’s most successful referendum saw more than 90 per cent of Australians vote to give the Australian Government power to make laws for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and recognise them in the Census.

2) 3 June 1992 

On this day, the Australian High Court delivered the Mabo decision, the culmination of Eddie Koiki Mabo’s challenge to the legal fiction of ‘terra nullius’ (land belonging to no one) and leading to the legal recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of lands. This decision paved the way for Native Title.

Here's a short video if you are interested in learning more about National Reconciliation Week 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgohZhTkjo 

Reconciliation must live in the hearts, minds and actions of all Australians as we move forward, creating a nation strengthened by respectful relationships between the wider Australian community, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

What are some things we can do?

1) Talk about reconciliation in your workplace, during social events.

2) Attend reconciliation week events.

3) Ask Aboriginal Leaders etc. to share their stories.

4) Hold a team lunch (breakfast) to honour the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's culinary influence.

5) Join a local cultural tour.

6) Show your appreciation of Country through art.

For the community:

What is something you can do in your own life or in your close circle to recognise and acknowledge Australia's Traditional owners?

For me, I start the day with an Acknowledgment of Country, and share my appreciation for the Traditional owners of Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwB19PARVRc

What about you?

Please share what you do/intend to do in recognition of the Traditional owners of the land.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children, Educators, Elders and Community Members from across Queensland pay respect through an "Acknowledgement of Country" dedicated to the continuing connections of the Traditional Custodians to the Ancestral Lands and Ancestral Waterways where Early ...
This National Reconciliation Week we're challenging all Australians to Be Brave and Make Change, so that we can create a more just, equitable and reconciled Australia. To find out how you can get involved, head over to: https://nrw.reconciliation.org.au/ A massive thanks to Tori-Jay Mordey ...
3 REPLIES 3

Re: National Reconciliation Week 2022 - Be Brave. Make Change. 27th May to 3rd June.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and important post, @tyme

I believe in the importance of recognising and acknowledge the traditional owners of this land, and our power to contribute to achieving meaningful reconciliation 🖤💛❤️

I would love to also hear from any forumites who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, if they would like to share what Reconciliation Week means for them 😊

To answer your question @tymewhat can I do to recognise Australia's traditional owners? I think I'd like to start by learning more about the land/country I live on and it's history and significance to the traditional owners. I'm going to use this site to find out which country I'm on, and I think the local council and/or library may be a good source of information/place to start.

Re: National Reconciliation Week 2022 - Be Brave. Make Change. 27th May to 3rd June.

Its great to be aware of acknowledge the country of first nations people.

When I am feeling rich I buy presents from sites like 

https://www.yarn.com.au 

it is good as it allows me to keep reconciliation style conversations going, as well as paying a bit of rent.

Thank you for sharing that site @Appleblossom! I hadn't seen it before, but there are some really beautiful gifts that one could buy (even for themselves 😂) AND help support and pay the rent.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance