Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Butternut
Contributor

Pedophilic disorder dsm-5

I only just found out pedophiles are being told they have a mental illness. There in the dsm-5. All this time i had no idea they we're being labelled as a mental illness. Oooooooh this has made my blood boil. 

In no way shape or form do they have a mental illness!

Rant over 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Pedophilic disorder dsm-5

@Butternut wrote:

I only just found out pedophiles are being told they have a mental illness. There in the dsm-5. All this time i had no idea they we're being labelled as a mental illness. Oooooooh this has made my blood boil. 

Rant over 

That's not the half of it. I've been seeing news stories all over that now we aren't supposed to call them "pedophiles" anymore, because that's now an offensive term that upsets them. Now you're supposed to call them MAPs - Minor Attracted People. There are a lot of activists and 'experts'/academics pushing this now.

Im left scratching my head with that. I dont even how to reply its the most ludicrous thing ive ever heard in my 45yrs i dont know whether to laugh or cry

@Butternut wrote:

Rant over 

To get back to your original point about therapists labelling it as a "mental illness", they have a long, sordid history of playing fast and loose with their "expert stances" on peoples' sexuality/sexual preferances/sexual conduct.

Your probably aware that about half a century ago, homosexuality was officially regarded as a mental illness by their "science". That all changed in the 70s, when the bosses of the mental health industry just up and decided that it suddenly wasn't a "mental illness" anymore. (Hint for our new contestants: if "science" changes overnight because someone just decided it ought to, or because a bunch of people took a vote, it is almost certainly not really science).

But what you may not be aware of is that, when they changed the rules about the "illness" of homosexuality, they left a massive loophole in the book so that homophobic therapists could continue to torment and persecute their gay patients legitimately! They left an super-ambiguous umbrella term called something like "otherwise unclassified sexual dysfunction", which a therapist could basically assign to his/her patients regarding anything even remotely sexual about said patient which the therapist didn't like.

My understanding is that the largest victim pool who were abused by this loophole were gay patients who fell prey to homophobic therapists.

This loophole wasn't closed until about 2015, I believe. In the meantime, countless gay patients were tormented and abused by therapists who were exploiting that loophole.

If your really interested in just how bonkers, unscientific, and obscenely corrupt the authoring process of those manuals is, you might want to check out the advocacy of Dr. Paula Caplan, an insider on the creation of those books who decided to blow the whistle on what really goes on there.

This video is a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgilBaRbulc

It's a bit long, but it's a real eye-opener.

Paula J. Caplan, PhD, discusses the unscientific nature of psychiatric diagnoses and how much harm they cause. She also reveals that psychiatrist Allen Frances, who for years has claimed that he could not possibly have foreseen the epidemics in psychiatric diagnosing of children -- which emerged ...

Wow! Thats frightening! Im incredibly interested in watching this and doing more research. I realy appreciate you having taken the time to open my eyes to this

I too have heard about this and it sucks I guess the crucial thing for me is that classify it however you want but at the end of the day a minor can’t consent so it should still be illegal no matter how you look at it. 

also the dsm is full of poop 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance