Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

MaryK
Casual Contributor

Caring for a previous perpetrator

Hi and thanks for the add. Short version, since cancer diagnosis in autumn (down under) I’ve had to step in as primary care for a parent who has no insight, had numerous friends cut contact due to their behaviour, and the parent has abused me physically a couple of times though usually emotionally abusive, manipulative and gaslighting, and whilst never assessed many clinicians have suspected narc and dependency traits. Prior to the diagnosis I was able to maintain firm boundaries and limit contact, but as the only family other than my teenager there’s been limited choice. I burned out, and whilst active treatment ended just before Xmas the intensity of the behaviour has increased and I’ve relapsed into burnout in addition to a flare of my trauma response. I’ve set up as many services as possible through schemes to take the pressure off me, yet the emotional abuse has continued or intensified and I don’t know what to do, and certain friends are reporting the same to me. They refuse counselling so far and I have my child and physical health issues to factor in. I don’t know if anyone has any ideas but that’s for the vent 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Caring for a previous perpetrator

Hi @MaryK ,

Thank you for sharing. 

I sorry this is happening. 

Whatever the condition, abuse is not acceptable. 

A good place to start is probably 1800RESPECT https://www.1800respect.org.au/

They may be able to provide more insight into the situation.

I think it is important that you get the support you need so that you are then able to care for your parent. And perhaps boundary setting needs to be re-established?

Sorry, I'm not entire aware of the situation, so I can't say much. I just know that you deserve the support you need at this time.

Please take care,

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance