Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Be Careful what you share other members into

I was shared into the 'lucky country' scenario about Australia being so great in the Gratitude section.

Australia is far from a lucky country.  I have an extreme bias towards this nation as a whole that plays very much into my so called Chronic Complex PTSD.  This country and its ideology on nationalism and the way it herds vulnerable minds has cut short the lives of many including my brother. 

Because of this action being shared into a gratitude thread based on the luck country calling card, I have decided to leave SANE Australia.

Be very careful what you share members into when you don't know them.

I'll be emailing to terminate that rest of my dealings with SANE Australia. To many people in this country who have done a LOT of harm still have accolades and in high positions.  

Sharing me into such a patriotic post in a gratitude thread without first asking was a big mistake for the reasons given above.

Thanks but no thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Be Careful what you share other members into

Hey @Former-Member 

I am so sorry to see the distress this has caused. You're absolutely right - while for some of us Australia can be seen as something to feel grateful for, for many, this is not the case. 

For a more confidential discussion and/or to discuss your account please feel free to email team@saneforums.org

I hope we can hear from you. Take very good care of yourself 💛

I am sorry it triggered me like so.  But thank you for your understanding.  

Email sent. 

Your title made me apprehensive. I love politics but, as you've pointed out @Former-Member , there can be a lot of diagonal implications to the things people say. The political can get personal very quickly.

In case you get this, I want to say that I admire your reasons for criticizing the state of the state we're in. Mahatma Gandhi said: “the true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members.” It's the first place went when I saw your post. (I'm missing you already).

Dear @Former-Member ,

I'm so sorry this has been such a trigger for you. 

Please take care,

tyme

@Former-Member 

Would be sad to see you go. I hope you reconsider because it’s good to have you here. The more of us that stick together the better I think.

May I suggest another viewpoint.

let’s for a moment consider the possible intention of the poster. 
Perspective 1: maybe the poster feels grateful to live in Australia considering the dangers that are currently happening overseas in some countries. Not coming from structural and social injustice perspective.

Perspective 2: In terms of tagging you in, can you see it from the perspective that someone was thinking about you and wanted to include you.

Maybe if you can see the genuine good intention underlying the post maybe you will feel safe to stay here.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance