Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Anoushka
New Contributor

Dissociation

I often dissociate after intense emotional outbursts and cannot feel emotions in my body. I lose sense of my hunger signals, start eating unconsciously and also scratch my face, because my body is not responding to stimuli. Does anyone experience this? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Dissociation

@Anoushka 

There is no separation of you and 'emotions'.

You feel. 

If you find that you get irritated remember that natural and man made electricity goes against our head.

We shape it as the sub, the con, and the suss.

It's inherently against us as we shape it.

Spend your efforts piercing this.

This nothing. This subconsuss. 

And you don't have to turn off then.

Hi and welcome, @Anoushka , it's good to have you here 🙂

Many people here dissociate. I used to do it, but got a lot of healing from my childhood trauma in therapy, and recently realised I haven't done it for years now. 

Do you have a trauma background? 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 🙂

Bow
Senior Contributor

Hi @Anoushka  i struggle with dissociation a lot and often self harm. It’s scary. Sorry you are dealing with this. 

@Anoushka  Yep I know exactly what you mean. You have come to the right place. many of us experience dissociation.

Dissociation can be caused by a variety of things including trauma, mental health conditions, brain injury, substance-abuse, and medication ect.

treating the dissociation will vary, depending on the cause. Are you in therapy? 

@Anoushka 

Simply. Yes.

How it has manifest has differed at different stages of my life.

Sometimes, the scratching became patting, then more intense, extending to SH, but I think a lot of it stems from dissociation.  Recognising internal signals has always been tricky for me. 

Eg., I was so used to doing food for others that when my last child left home I would completely forget to eat until I established some basic routines for me.

Recently I had some itchy attacks and now I am wondering if it was emotional and part of me reclaiming my skin and my body.  I still have a lot of difficulty identifying feelings with words, though I have worked at it. I prefer music and language associated with music.  I was also wary of people who overidentified with their own feelings as the ultimate truth, and tended to be more cerebral.

Yes I had trauma in childhood and in marriage.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance