Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

hanami
Senior Contributor

Books that changed or helped us

Do you love to read? Is there a certain author or book that has changed your life or really helped with your mental health journey?

For me it’s UK author Matt Haig. Matt writes both fiction and non-fiction. In his fiction, the characters he creates often have battles with mentally ill health and in his non-fiction he writes about his own experiences.  I’ve written out some of my favourite passages and quote from his books below. I’d love to hear about books that helped or changed your life!

“And, just as it only takes a moment to die, it only takes a moment to live. You just close your eyes and let every futile fear slip away. And then, in this new state, free from fear, you ask yourself: who am I? If I could live without doubt what would I do? If I could be kind without the fear of being messed over? If I could love without fear of being hurt? If I could taste the sweetness of today without thinking of how I will miss that taste tomorrow? If I could not fear the passing of time and the people it will steal? Yes. What would I do? Who

would I care for? What battle would I fight? Which paths would I step down? What joys would I allow myself? What internal mysteries would I solve? How, in short, would I live?”

― Matt Haig, How to Stop Time

“You will one day experience joy that matches this pain. You will cry euphoric tears at the Beach Boys, you will stare down at a baby’s face as she lies asleep in your lap, you will make great friends, you will eat delicious foods you haven’t tried yet, you will be able to look at a view from a high place and not assess the likelihood of dying from falling. There are books you haven’t read yet that will enrich you, films you will watch while eating extra-large buckets of popcorn, and you will dance and laugh and have sex and go for runs by the river and have late-night conversations and laugh until it hurts. Life is waiting for you. You might be stuck here for a while, but the world isn’t going anywhere. Hang on in there.

Life is always worth it.”

― Matt Haig, Reasons to Stay Alive

“Sometimes just to say your own truth out loud is enough to find others like you.”― Matt Haig, The Midnight Library

@FloatingFeather @tyme @Paperdaisy @TuxedoCat @amber22 

@Snowie @NatureLover  @jem80 @Aniela @Shaz51 @AussieRecharger @ShiningStar @outlander @HenryX @Judi9877 @Zoe7 @wellwellwellnez @Eve7 @maddison @Boo13 @pinklollipop15   @CrazyChick@Hams , @Faith-and-Hope , @BPDSurvivor 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Books that changed or helped us

What an interesting question @hanami!. I've never really thought about this question until now. I particularly like the passage you included by Reasons to Stay Alive - Matt Haig. I've never read that before but it really resonates with me. Thanks for sharing - that's one I'm going to keep for future reference ;).

I can't say any one book has changed my life but I do love to read autobiographies. I love to read other people's stories and their journeys. I remember the first one I ever read (don't remember who it was about though) and they were talking about their life warts and all. I took great comfort from reading that someone that I admired had their own battles with adversity, mistakes, wins - I appreciated their honesty. It helped me see that whilst this was someone I admired and thought had a perfect life still had challenges and difficulties just like me.

I guess what I like the most about autobiographies is that idea that we all have mountains to climb - no matter how shiny the outside package seems.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather

I love that about autobiographies too @FloatingFeather . I read Turia Pitt's book and was just like, wow to overcome such adversity. I found it so inspirational. 

Matt Haig's 'The comfort book' is my favourite. You can just pick it up and read a random page and get something out of it. Not corny, cliche quotes but stuff that is fresh and new about ways to see life and pull yourself from despair. x

@hanami @FloatingFeather I like reading autobiographies of people who live with mental illness. My most recent book like that was 'The Centre Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness' by Elyn Saks. What an inspiring lady, she's a lawyer and high in academia. I first heard of her from a video on YouTube then I borrowed her book from my local library. The autobiography was raw and real, no sugar coated story. I liked her honesty in telling her story,  so much courage!

I'm interested to read more books like this so I'll look up Matt Haig, thanks. 

I liked kite runner was a sad story but the lead pushed on through with what life can offer @Patchworks @hanami @FloatingFeather . It was an easy read suggested by my father, have tried reading since then but nothing grabbed my attention. Don’t want to read anything mental health related though I would like to just in case someone checks my phone and questions me what is this mental health stuff, trying to stay very low key, but that does get me in to trouble from time to time fml @tyme thinking of you also as you have helped me through a tough time… so thanks

I loved the Kite Runner @Former-Member

There is mental health stuff everywhere these days, hard to avoid it, unless you are living under a rock. Often the people who are hiding something are the least mature about it ... imo.

I love Bios and memoirs.

These are 2 books that helped me get through the worst years of my life.  I had been into Christianity and Buddhism and Raj Yoga and therapy ....

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/119390.If_You_Meet_the_Buddha_on_the_Road_Kill_Him 

Its about self reliance.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/174635.Goddesses_in_Everywoman 

Helped me grapple with roles thrust upon women and roles and archetypes we embrace or are smaller parts of our natures.

Great thread @hanami @FloatingFeather @Patchworks 

Great thread, @hanami ! Got no time to reply at the moment, but will have a think! 

What a super awesome thread @hanami !

I have read so many books that have added to my life. 

"The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris is a defining one.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 1.35.12 pm.png

Shows us the fallacy behind the idea that life is about being 'happy'.  The author shares with us why it is not about being happy.

When I read that, I understood why my then-goal to be happy was not attainable. I then reset my goals and bearings to have a different outlook on life. Hence now, I life a completely content and satisfied life.

Totally worth the read and the work to implement the strategies.

Thank you @tyme 

I also love that book! I watched the ABC series years ago that they did on the book. It was really enlightening. Thanks for sharing 💮

Absolutely love this question @hanami ! ❤️

I am a big fan of reading (whether that be non-fiction or fiction) as I find it my way to meditate. It helps me to escape my every day thoughts and worries, and really relaxes me. 

A book that really opened my eyes to a different way of thinking was '101 ways to change the way you think' by Brianna West. It's a collection of many essays that the author has written over her lifespan, and each one is only a few pages long. It touches on topics such as; self care, how to navigate your life in certain life phases, and overall just offers a great perspective on some of life's milestones. 

Let me know if anyone else has engaged in a similar book, or has any recommendations! 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance