Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ursus
New Contributor

supported accommodation in Melbourne

Hi everyone,

I have severe TRD major depression. At the moment I am suffering extreme isolation. I urgently need to explore the option of moving to some sort of supported accommodation. It is essential that there are empathetic non-judgement people there I can talk to on a daily basis, be it nurses, psychologists, social workers, etc.

I once stayed in hospital for a month, and based on that experience, I also have the following requirements:

1. I am free leave and return to the premises whenever I like.

2. I can lock my room or at least put a Do Not Disturb sign on my door so my sleep is never interrupted, even if I sleep during strange hours.

3. I do not have to surrender my medication to the staff and take it at prescribed times over the counter, i.e. I am in full control of what I take and when I take it.

4. If the facility provides meals, that would be nice but not essential.

Can anyone recommend me a place like that (in Melbourne)? Who do I have to approach for this? Do I have to get NDIS to fund it? How do I access NDIS?

Thank you very much. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: supported accommodation in Melbourne

@Ursus

Welcome to the forums Ursus. You have put a huge request on your first post. Unfortunately due to the community guidelines here, I'm pretty sure that no forum members are allowed to either name or recommend places. This is mostly due to privacy issues/guidelines. The other thing is that there's so much more information needed about you that can't be written here in the forums or you might be uncomfortable sharing.

My best suggestion is that is you have a good GP, pyschiatrist, pyschologist or support worker that they help you with this matter. They would be best placed to know about such places as well as knowing you, your needs and requirements. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I hope I've pointed you in the right direction. You are more than welcome to join in conversations in the current threads. If you want to talk to someone in particular you just need to put an @ symbol in front of their user name. I really wish you all the best.

Re: supported accommodation in Melbourne

Hi @Ursus and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're going through what sounds like a pretty rough time at the moment

As @Sans911 mentioned, because of anonymity we can't give out information on specific services, but I think it can be really helpful to be here for lots of other reasons including to help with isolation which many people here experience.

Do you have a GP, psychologist/psychiatrist, mental health worker etc you can talk to about accessing accommodation and support?

As far as accessing the NDIS, again any of those health professionals are great places to start with that. There are a number of us here using the NDIS. What you're able to access through the NDIS will depend on your individual plan. The process for me was lengthy and tricky but it can be worth it as a lot of mental health support services are now only available through the NDIS. There are still some services available publicly though and, from my understanding, that includes some residential services in Victoria (though exactly which ones I'm not totally sure).

If you're interested in finding out a bit more about the NDIS you can ask here and also use the search function on the forum too. You should find a number of discussions about it. 

I hope you're able to find the right support soon Ursus. Keep posting here if it helps too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance