Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

L12
Contributor

Waking at night with anxiety

Does anyone else wake during the night with their heart racing due to anxiety?

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Waking at night with anxiety

Not me personally, but someone I know had recently made several trips to the hospital thinking it was their heart. After every test under the sun, they finally realised what was happening was anxiety and panic attacks. @L12 . So they are now working on breathing through these moments, and using the power of the breath to lower their anxiety and heart rate. 

Is seems like a pretty common thing.

Yeah, ok. Sometimes mine would be tied to a thought that pops into my head while asleep and sometimes I’ll just wake with a racing heart and my brain will search for something to worry about. Not a full blown panic attack (I’ve had just the one of those). Last night I had quite a bad one. I used the lifeline text line which was super helpful, they sent me a breathing gif to use which was great, and some links to TIPPS, which are tools to help lower heart rate. I was able to calm down and go back off to sleep. Felt zapped today, like a hangover. 

Definitely doesn't sound pleasant @L12  - just keep persevering with the breathing. You will eventually conquer it.

Take care, tyme

Hi there @L12, yes I know this experience well! I found it extremely unpleasant and unnerving. Connection with someone can be a great support, just talking it out, so good on you for reaching out to Lifeline. I have used multiple strategies for being with anxiety and to short circuit it. They don't always work in the short term but I would say that it was empowering for me to do something about it. Let me know if you would like to hear what I have found helpful?

Hi. Thank you for your reply. Would be happy to hear what you have found helpful.

@L12 just a handy hint for the forums: If you press "@" and then the username of the person you are replying to they get a notification and see that you've responded. 

@Kali-Tara I think L12 was interested to see if anything helped you out?

@L12 this happens to me :'( I often wake after intense, vivid nightmares or a dream might trigger anxious thoughts. Sometimes the thoughts just pop into my brain without any trigger at all. I feel like we have some similar experiences ❤️ 

There are some things which help me and maybe they'll help you

• I like get out of bed and change my space. I often get up and have a shower or have a cup of tea in the kitchen
  • I try a bed-time yoga or yoga for when you're in bed. 
  • If that doesn't work, then I pull out netflix until I'm sleepy (I try to avoid this, but sometimes it's the only thing that works!) 

But I really like some of the things you mentioned too. Especially the TIPP exercises!

Is there anything that seems useful for you? 

@TuxedoCat i also like to change location. I’ll move from my bed to the couch downstairs (it’s super comfy). I’ll try a breathing gif, the visual really helps, or I’ll use a track from insight timer. On Friday when I had a really strong bout of night time anxiety, the ice brick to the back of the neck and holding my breath for 30 seconds helped too (after I had used the lifeline text line). 

sometimes I’ll watch something too. I know it’s not recommended, but it helps my mind get distracted and go off to sleep.

it’s an awful feeling hey, as things always seem to feel worse at night. 

Completely @L12 ! There's something about it being dark and everyone is asleep that make things feel harder or something. 

But the ice-cube trick is also great! I sometimes hold one in my hand and it helps too, but I like the idea of putting it on your neck -- right on the spinal cord! 

And yeah, sometimes we gotta be realistic about what can distract us. And at 3am, sometimes it's just watching a silly show!! hehe

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance