Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Schizophrenia

@Fractured daily life when I am doing okay is not dissimilar to other people who do not have mental health issues. I seem to get by with distraction (art, listening to music, chatting online, doing things I enjoy). The medication is somewhat sedating however and I have to have more than the normal amount of sleep in order to function. Unfortunately a lot of antipsychotics are like that I've learned (I've been on many different ones in order to find ones which will work the best for me). 

At the moment I'm in a bit of a slump, so I am struggling a bit. I am oversleeping a lot which is causing problems in my relationships as I'm 'not engaging' and withdrawing a fair bit. I've also got active voices which are telling me self destructive/harm others commands. I'll mention it to my GP tomorrow when I go in to see her. I am coping by using this forum, without it I'd be a lot worse off I think. 

I've actually thought about offering my partner to have some time to herself, and go to respite for a few days so I can regroup mentally. The thing is, she doesn't know what goes on in my head unless I tell her and I don't exactly see myself being so forthcoming with information like that at the moment. 

I also went and had 10 sessions (under a mental health care plan) with a psychologist. I feel like I learned skills there I could use, like reality self checking (although this is not always possible and sometimes I need to ask for clarification from a source outside my head). I've also had hospital admissions this year (and previous years) for psychotic episodes and depressive episodes.

Coping is difficult but it can be done. Most importantly it is paramount to have a good and safe support system behind you. I didn't have this for years and struggled big time with a lot of hospital admissions and social problems like homelessness and drug abuse.

How to upload an Avatar:

Click on the blank avatar, it should bring up your profile. Click on the blank avatar and it should have a button underneath it saying something like "Change profile picture". From there it gives you options to upload from your computer. From there you can crop pics to fit.

All avatars remain blank until approved by mods.

Hope this helps.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Fractured @Queenie

I read your post with interest. You have been very concise and clear in writing about changes that you are experiencing.

This in itself is very positive for any further counselling, treatment.

If you are not already under medical care, please talk to a gp who you feel comfortable with and ask for a referral preferably to a psychiatrist who has experience with schizophrenia. That person can monitor your progress and medication ongoing.

@Queenie  Has explained how she manages at the same time recognising when she can't.

My son has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He trusts very few people and believes many are after him. He also believes that they have made me unwell. 

I hope that you find help in writing on here as you are already helping others. Thank you both.

Hi. This is my 1st post. I just read your post and had to reply because this is exactly what happens to me at work. However I’m very ashamed of my schizophrenia and other disorders. I feel that I have to suck it up and get on with job. I know my boss is very understanding and has suggested an action plan and compared having schizophrenia to having asthma or diabetes. The voices have been getting more interruptive during work. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance