Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

flybluebird
Senior Contributor

Nature as a healer

‘For the Love’ of Nature’s: patterns, textures, colours, shapes and beauty…

Nature is often my muse and helps me drop into a place where I am able to see the uplifting beauty around me. 

It has been & continues to be a significant healing resource to me, it has also supported me in some of my darkest times and I’m wondering how that is for others?

I have endless images on my phone of all sorts of nature inspiration and often find them a useful reference when I cannot get out into nature & find it very grounding for me.

I’m just curious of those folk here who also have a love of nature, what ways you find connection with her? Be inspired by her? Learn from her? Live with her?

Just wanted to end on sharing a selection of some of my recent images taken, would love to hear from & see any of your own images &/or thoughts! Smiley Happy

Sandstone rock texturesSandstone rock texturesRain drops on BanksiaRain drops on BanksiaPaperbark Tree along creekbedPaperbark Tree along creekbed

60 REPLIES 60

Re: Nature as a healer

I used to love taking Toby to the beach @flybluebird There is a walking track on the hill above so I could be in nature whilst still seeing the beautiful beach below. Watching Toby run and explore on the beach was always a highlight - he would run ahead about 50 metres then turn to make sure I was still coming with him and run again. We would always stop on the rocks at the end of the beach and sit for a while just watching the waves and looking out into the bay. Along the walking track there are plenty of places to sit also so when we (I) got tired we could rest. It was a massive effort to get to the beach but I tried to go a couple of times a week - was my happy place. I have not been for a couple of years because I am too exhausted after work but planning to get back into regular trips these holidays.

Oh wow @Zoe7  … sounds like such a magic spot you’ve described having both bushland & the sea close by! - what a heavenly combo!

My dog, Joey, used to do the same thing as Toby, hehe - looking back from far ahead & as well as that, becoming what looked like a possessed digger, digging in the sand when on the beach… was hilarious for me to watch him be so playful & carefree. Think it somewhat rubbed off on me at times.

I was right there with you when you described:
“We would always stop on the rocks at the end of the beach and sit for a while just watching the waves and looking out into the bay.”
Watching water is so mesmerising isn’t it! And the smell of the saltiness in the air- soooo good 🙂

I really do hope you get to revisit this for yourself over the holidays.
Just curious if you have a “spot” in your garden that might help for those days you have work or time poor?

Thanks for sharing your experience @Zoe7 Heart

Yes I do have a special spot in my garden @flybluebird I have built a little sanctuary in the corner of my garden. There are two massive trees that shelter the corner and I have built a rock mosiac yin and yang base with a small deck in front. I can sit there under the shade in Summer and proitected from the rain in winter. I have just recently re-done the small deck as the trees were growing too big and I found a couple of rotting beams underneath. I have a few more plants to put in also and one day will put in a small pond. I have an elephant water feature to add then - the water comes out his trunk Smiley Surprised

The beach spot is quite magical. The track goes all along the foreshore for about 10kms but we have never gone even half of that. I have been there in misty rain and that adds another level of magic to the area. I have also been there when there have been just Toby and I - usually it is filled with dogs and people so that was extremely lovely to be on our own.

I used to have a bird called Joey - when I was a kid. He was a blue budgie and was extremely talkative and very cute.

@Zoe7
Wow... Sanctuary indeed!! 🐘🌿☯️
What a great space you've created and have further visions for 💛
Sounds expansive that beach spot.

I like getting outside. I have created a nice little place outside my bedroom which is covered with a little sitting area. I like plants, I find it therapeutic attending to them and just sitting amongst them. 

I like the sounds and smells of being outside. 

I also enjoy getting to the beach. It's about a 40min drive for us, so we don't get there as much as I would like. My D likes to play, I just like to sit and take it all in. 

Such a nice thing to have done for yourself creating what sounds like a peaceful sitting space in your home @Bow 
I have lots of indoor plants in my home as I currently live in an apt, the more the merrier I like to say haha

If you had to choose, what would be your favourite sounds & smells of being outside? 

I love that being at the beach you can just take it all in 🙂 Reminds me that it doesn’t need us to necessarily ‘do’ something to benefit us sometimes - that being an observer & watching D play can be exactly the thing & nothing more 😊

🐚 🌊 ☀️🌿

@flybluebird  I love the smell of summer rain. And the crackling on a scorching hot summers day... mind you I hate summer though!

@flybluebird  I love nature and need to be out in it every day. I like to walk slowly or just sit among the trees or out in the sun. I think I would shrivel up and die if I had to live in a concrete jungle 😞

I like all plants, even the weeds...anything growing and green. I like to see plants take hold and grow in impossible spaces. It's their one chance at life and I think that's a good lesson - they grow where they find themselves and make the best of it. Also I like weeds as often there's flowers on them for the starving bees. 

I agree - I find nature healing. 

Oh - sounds like we have a lot in common @NatureLover 😀
I completely understand needing to be out in it everyday 

I often see those seedlings that have made their ways into weird & wonderful cracks to find themselves growing in someone’s brick wall/guttering or such - gives me a chuckle & think of something similar - the resilience it takes to grow in such spaces… 🌱

Some weeds have the most beautiful flowers too huh!

I wonder, it might be a big Q) but what is it about Nature that has that way with you, do you think?

Also - did you watch that show that was on abc this year called “Back to Nature”?
I found it so good esp when I couldn’t get out to walks for myself at that time.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance