Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Historylover
Senior Contributor

I just hurt

Hey guys. I'm feeling so very unhappy right now and just need to unload. I have been trying to find a psychiatrist to talk to but none are taking new patients. So I'm stuck with my anguish and it's a heavy load.  

I'm continuing with my course and find it challenging, but I love a challenge if it's not too great. However, I have never felt welcome there, and continuing through the barely concealed hostility is tough when you have such a heavy personal load. I have had my finger on the withdraw button several times, but I am continuing despite everything. I have to quickly chose whether to withdraw or whether to fail if I leave it until after census date. Who knows, maybe I won't do either. I just keep plodding because I have to.

I've lost my daughter and I can't get her back. Ever. Something in me has died and it sits so very uncomfortably. She's not the daughter I would recognize anymore. She lives in a different world and is a complete stranger. She believes anything others say about me. I can't cry and scream as I would like to, to relieve this anguish, so it sits there, all bottled up. I have a few rare exchanges with family members but it never goes well. I keep learning of things I am supposed to have done or said, and it's all so damned unfair. People can say anything, and I have no defence as nothing I can say can make them see the truth when the lies sit so comfortably for them. It's what they want to believe. It justifies their own actions, so they won't let them go. And the lies were done by people who were supposed to love and protect me. There is no pleasure in my life besides the pleasure from my course, and occasional exchanges with my friends here, but it's not enough. I need some workable family, in person relationships. Everything just keeps getting worse and there is only worse to come. I can't make anything better. I am so sick of this distress and don't know when I will say 'Enough!'

Safe. No private emails please.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: I just hurt

@Historylover 

Parents should tell their children that the reason they had them is to be their friend.

Tell them that you feel sad, tell them what you are telling us. 

Then just ignore the ones you don't like and be friends with your children.

Children don't get to pick their parents bear in mind.

So just see what comes.

Also, please remember that people are not the things against them.

When you think of someone, they are not the things against them.

They are with here. 

*hug*

Wishing you the best with life, course and new pdoc.  @Historylover 

Seems there are a lot of waiting lists.

I hope you can find a pdoc soon @Historylover  I am sorry that you haven’t found one yet.

Sending love and support 💜

I'm feeling you.. I've spent 3 years trying to access support, and I think that time taught me that when the chips are down it really comes down to me. The docs just want to shove scripts at me and the therapists just want to 'listen' and are not allowed to help me plan any sort of phoenix moment because thats telling me what to do and they cant do that. I

'll tell you what I need to hear from someone else right now.. maybe it will help us both.

You have climbed some huge mountains.. mountains many others simply could not climb. In conquering those obstacles, you learned you were strong, stubborn and smart. Existing alone is tough and eventually it softens you.. to sit or stand alone looking out at the cruelty and unkind folk makes us look at our own contributions. We are human, so our contributions are crappy sometimes. When our hearts go soft, our first instinct is to think we are weak, unwell, or unworthy, because there is always someone out there reminding us to harden up, asking us if we need a tsp of concrete in our coffee. We know hard. Many times we have fallen hard, lived hard, studied hard, thought hard, worked out hard, stood hard, looked hard, ran hard, worked hard, even ate and drank hard.. and each time we rose again ready to fight the good fight.. hard. Maybe too many times? Seems the harder we became, the more determined they seemed to want to break us, pick or chip away at us, wear us away, drown us, rub us out until we were left sitting with ourselves, getting to know ourselves and harden up all over again.

What if they are wrong? What if the reason we can't get help is because we are not meant to? This is what I learned after 3 years of riding the 'professional carousel'. 

I am me.. a human being trying to live a spiritual life.

I am me... lonely and very selective about who I call friends today, because I have learned that there are unkind people that I must judge if only for my own protection.

I am me.. a member of a family who exist with lots of different personalities and its ok not to be a friend to all of them.

I am me... a mother who welcomed some beautiful humans into the world and did my very best to raise them kind. They dont always think like me, or value the same things as me.. and thats ok. My gift to them is freedom.

I am me... soft.. sitting in my heart space.

As loving and lovable as the day I arrived in this world.

I don't need to be hard anymore. I've lived through more than my share of hardness. Im tired of toeing the hard line.

Soft is a nice space... its filled with newness and I dont want to bounce out of it anymore. Just because someone else suggests Im not ok.

I choose to care about what I care about...not what someone else tells me I should care about.

This is my life and there's not much to it really.. its a simple life I guess.. but its mine and to live it happily and with some sense of purpose.. I'm choosing to live it soft.

I'm going to stay right here, and hold on to this healing, happy, bright, loving space and do my best to share it. 

Sending you love ❤️ 

Hi @Historylover I'm sorry it's so hard from so many angles.

I know that heavy. It sounds laindul to feel separated from Ur daughter, and it really sounds like a loss. It is hard to deal and cope with losses that challenge us so deeply.

Sending care, support, and sitting with u.

Thank you, @EternalFlower, for your kind words. 

Hi @Historylover 

Actually I was Dec and I had to change my identity for reasons I discussed with the moderators - the whole thing was done easily and I have kept my profile which I wanted to do - that was important for me

It seems to me that you don't feel as if you fit in anywhere and - oh boy! Your daughter sides with your dysfunctional family. That has to be a terrible grief - I am so sorry. Actually - I can't imagine what that feels like.

My daughter is friendly with my toxic siblings still she and I and my grand-daughter are on good terms - 

Your family  - I remember reading that success is forbidden in your family. I don't know how that would happen but I believe you. My mother never saw my success - she was critical of me big time until she lost the plot after Dad died - families - although they say blood is thicker than water it's a lot messier too. 

Try and keep on with your studies as long as you can - it took me 12 years to do a four-year degree at university - work and my troubled son had to be part of my plan - I was 50 when I graduated. When my son died my studies kept me together. Financially I earned little but emotionally and socially - huge pluses - every day of my life has been better because of what I learned.

The psychology people are booked solid. I was triggered earlier this week and know I can't see a psychologist for ages - I spoke to Blue Knot about my mother and childhood trauma - I did have a very supportive network around me through my childhood - my father and my mother's mother - also my Dad's parents and his brothers. I don't have to talk to anyone else about my mother - I guess I am who I am in spite of and because of her. I am glad to say

I really hope you can get some help - you seem so alone

Sending my love

Owlunar

I've just received a message from another forumite on this thread, @Bionic, and found your very long and thoughtful response. Thank you for that, but you didn't tag me so I didn't get a message in my inbox that a reply to my post was waiting. I'm so sorry to have missed it when I was needing it so badly.

Yes, I am certainly alone because that is what my ex-psychiatrist did to me so that he could isolate me and keep me all to himself—total control. I had thought him my dearest friend, but it was all carrot and stick to keep me in his thrall. I was so much younger then and believed that doctors were there to help. They say revenge is a dish best served cold, and that was the dish he was most looking forward to. He has a serious hatred of women. I can see the signs clearly now, but he had blinded me by his apparent 'goodness' back then. I will never recover from this but I just try to make the most of my situation.

You are so right regarding the more you are able to take the more they inflict on you. The stress and pressure that was relentlessly inflicted on me when I wouldn't break eventually took its toll and I collapsed. My health will never fully recover from the severity of my physical breakdown. Anything emotional now causes my health to be impacted, even happiness! I can't take any more though, so isolation is something of a sanctuary. I am able to do as I choose, and I have a little control on what I am subjected to.

You're quite right, @Bionic. It is up to us. I wish you well. For me, my life and the betrayals I have been subjected to have taken their toll. I can only put one foot in front of the other for as long as I can endure. That's life for me and I haven't been able to change it. My battles with my memories take their toll too. 

Sending all good wishes to you @Bionic and the hope for a brighter future. ❤️

I was delighted to see your screen pic back, @Owlunar, but I must say I miss the old name. I'll just have to adjust, I guess. I thought you had left and I'd been concerned. I thought of you often, especially when there were astronomical events for you to observe. So, you now have a telescope. Lucky you! What a lovely gift. That must be very exciting. Wish I could say "Please give me a look, give me a look, please!" 

I've been reading some of your posts. You've had an eventful time. Good and bad, it seems. We just have to roll with the punches, as they say. I couldn't believe that it had only been 5 months. If it had read 12 months or more, I wouldn't have been surprised. Perhaps it is a sign that so much has happened that it seems unbelievable that it had all occurred in such a short time.

I read that you have had your 80th birthday? Time flies, doesn't it? I hope you had a nice occasion to celebrate the milestone. 

No, @Owlunar, I don't fit in anywhere. My ex-psychiatrist has orchestrated it so. I won't explain. It's all too complicated. I guess my life got off to a bad start, and even when I thought it was changing, it had all been deception. I can't fix it. 

My studies have been a reprieve and something to immerse myself in so that I can not only challenge myself, but attend to something I have always wanted to do. It has been a treat but I don't know how long I will continue. I am so very traumatised. Learning is so rewarding—if only it had all happened when it was supposed to happen, but life takes its own course. Better late than never, I guess.

Sending good wishes, @Owlunar, it's so nice to see you back. Among others, I often wonder about how Maggie is doing, too. I hope she's prospering in her absence.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance