Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sara74
Contributor

Dealing with defamation

I had friends, or at least I thought I had them. Until one of them attempted to slander me, and others believed him.
Today I reread his messages in our group chat, and I see the reason why their attitude towards me was strange. He told everybody I've slept with him which I did not, I am married. 

And I realise it just now after a few months of medication and good sleep, the actual content of his lies. I can't believe people would believe him, what he said. I am way too naive. 

I thought I was transparent as a person, and honest. I just CAN'T believe. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Dealing with defamation

What an awful thing for someone to say. Did you correct him in the group chat?

Your friends are acting like a group of school kids. Sounds like you would be better off making some mature friends who don't react this way to gossip.

"Did you correct him in the group chat?"

No, it was a while ago, not recently. I'm a slowpoke, and not sure if it'll make things better or worse...

"Sounds like you would be better off making some mature friends who don't react this way to gossip."

I agree with you, totally. @floaty_potato 

Do you still hang out with these friends?

@floaty_potato wrote:

Do you still hang out with these friends?

No. They were just online friends for me, like this chat. Never met anyone of them in real life. I just liked talking to them online, that's all. The whole situation is weird. 

Ah ok. You never know what you're going to get online. 

I made new friends by learning hobbies and going to tafe. Takes time, but you can meet some fantastic people like that. 

Hi @sara74 . I can relate to the sting of defamation - especially from so-called "friends" - it's done no end of dammage to me, my life and my legacy.

Unfortunately, it also seems to be one of the most difficult (read: practically impossible) problems to fix, as once the negative depiction of you takes root in the communal mind, people just seem to want to perpetuate and reinforce that depiction.

I wish I could offer you some helpful advice, but the truth is I never managed to find a solution to that problem myself. I've come to suspect that the only real solution is to be relocated into a completely new community, but that requires you to have the opportunity to do such a thing, doesn't it?

@chibam @floaty_potato  thank you for your advice. 

@chibam wrote:

Hi @sara74 . I can relate to the sting of defamation - especially from so-called "friends" - it's done no end of dammage to me, my life and my legacy.

I'm sorry that you went through that.

Likewise, @sara74 .

And Thanks! Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance