Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DogMan79
Senior Contributor

20 years in the system

Hi 

I haven't visited in a long time 

My journey began in 2003 in canberra. I was referred to the CATT, then CMHT

Things were different. Much more psychiatrist centric. I saw my psychiatrist every month or 2. She provided CBT on top of medications management 

I was primarily under the care of old school psychiatrists until 2014

Between 2014 and 2016, I had a series of disastrous single sessions with psychologists, which contributed to Complex Trauma 

I sacked my GP and avoided psychologists until 2021. When I did 2 sessions with a psychologist. I got rather paranoid and accused him of conspiring against me with my dietitian and GP 

February this year, I was referred to CATT. Then further referred to CMHT

By August, I was in a better mental space to attempt therapy 

I sent around 20 questions about coercive practice in psychology to several psychologists. They kept either saying that their books were closed, or that I was "Outside their scope"

One, 90 minutes away, rang to brainstorm ways to make our appointment safe

I have since done 11 sessions and we are still focusing on building safety. As you can imagine 

I have comorbid schizoaffective disorder, OCD, Complex Trauma and possibly ASD (On waiting list for assessment. RAADS R etc suggest probably)

And now better access is reverting to 10 sessions 

I am lucky to have low living expenses. No kids, no car. So I can frugally budget and prioritise fortnightly sessions 

I'm still with CMHT 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: 20 years in the system

Hey @DogMan79 Welcome back.  Not sure if we met before.

I can really relate to being frugal in order to afford mental health support.  It has been my prime expenditure over absolute necessities for 50 years, until recently I could loosen up.  I did have kids so there needs came first, then working way up pyramid of needs to eventually getting a few wants.

Am impressed you manage without a car.  I was always frightened I would lose my son if I did not have a car to drive him around.

Yep there are all sorts within the system.  Sorry you got traumatised, (me too) but on you for standiing up for yourself.  It can be a very delicate path to walk the line of individuation with trust in interpersonal relationships ... family or therapeutic... without getting paranoid.  @Flying_Hams and I were talking about fear in another thread ...

Cheers Apple

What @Appleblossom said is bang on and well done for sharing @DogMan79

Not sure I came across you before though.

Either way it's good to see you

I have a couple of thoughts.

Firstly I think that you speak with purpose. Purpose is key in MH because without it I think I would probably never have sought help in the first place.

Also too, taking charge in your situation by seeking out a new therapist or similar help is key.
I'm looking at doing the same with my psychiatrist. I've requested his notes and correspondence be sent to me.

I've had days and moments in days where I've remembered completely random things. I feel things more now too. Maybe it comes with age?

If I shared these with a Dr they would probably try to prescribe something. Not that I am against that of course! I have benefited from medications. But who knows..

Sorry for my musings.

There are so many pathologies behind things in our lives aren't there?
@Appleblossom @DogMan79

Thanks hams and AB
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance