Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Chameleon1
Casual Contributor

I hate the mornings

I have been battling anxiety and depression for some years now. My psychiatrist thinks I have had issues since childhood. I am now 70!  For many years I was very busy, excessive exercise, full time work, wildlife rescue, horses, dogs. 

My partner of 30 years died 5 years ago. I had cared for her for the preceding 4 years after a heart attack and stroke. 

I started having panic attacks and severe depression not long after her death.

I have a really good psychiatrist and I have nearly completed some tertiary study in ministry. 

My main problem is the mornings. I wake up feeling terrified and panicky. 

My morning routine was to take my dog to the beach. Lucy now has an ulcerated eye so can't go to the beach.

Do others have morning anxiety? What coping mechanisms work for you?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: I hate the mornings

Hi @Chameleon1   Yes I too suffer from morning anxiety the minute my eyes open. Our cortisol levels are at their highest in the morning, which wakes us up but for some like myself, brings on that dreaded anxiety. So, whilst still in bed I practice a 4 2 6 breathing technique to settle myself. In  through the nose for 4 hold for 2 and exhale through pursed lips for 6 and do this at least 10 times. Helps to calm both mind and body. I then follow with progressive muscle relaxation, tensing and holding major muscle group’s individually for about 10 sec and then relaxing. This is my morning routine followed by a big glass of water and helps me to get up and on with my day. I hope this helps 🙏

I'm a big fan of customizing the cocoon affect of our sleeping places, in order to better wake up, feeling like a better braver butterfly. Whatever our age, we tend to benefit from a bit of swaddling. I'd call that important self-care.

My esoteric side is thinking about dreaming totems. I'm old enough to remember when those dream catcher crystal net things were in every second bedroom. Maybe they were actually catching something. I'm also thinking about guardian spirits. They take many forms but they're all basically cosmic night-lights/teddy-bears for spiritually minded grown-ups. Dream-bouncers, perhaps, because a guardian can eject the bad dreams that sneak through and put the good dreams on the VIP list.

Thanks, Krishna, I will try that.

Happy New Year @Chameleon1 Just wanted to add that my psychologist prescribed these techniques and recommended practicing them at least 6 times each day. The brain is in hyper vigilant mode and this will calm it down. It will resist by telling you that it’s a waste of time and try to convince you not to bother but push through those thoughts and practice anyway. It does take time to kick in but has helped me immensely. There are some good progressive muscle relaxation videos on YouTube you could source. It’s a horrible way to start the day in fear and panic and I can truly relate. Wishing you peace of mind and good health for 2023. 🙏

Thanks Krishna

Hey @Chameleon1 

Yes morning anxiety is definitely a thing!! I found that making sure I have something to be focussed on in the mornings when I wake up so that I don't think about my anxiety is really helpful. Setting up a strict morning routine so that I know what is going to happen and when has also been really beneficial for me. Maybe adding a mix of things that you enjoy doing and things that keep you focussed might help? 

All the best, 

Amber22

Thanks Amber.

hello @Chameleon1 , @Krishna , @amber22 , @wellwellwellnez 😍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance