Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Flying_Hams
Community Guide

Cross roads

I am at a cross road

With regard to work 

As has often been the case throughout my 20s, I had a chat to my old manager online the other day and he said to have the confidence to leave and find the next thing.

I'm anxious. So I can't always be confident about this sort of thing.

But the new changes now mean we have to work longer hours. It was team decision and ivoted in favour of it. So the shfit hours are longer.

I have a lot of reservations about thus change but I think it'll be worth trying. The good part is that it gives more time off. 

As for general in my life I feel free but also entrapped in so many ways.

Who knows aye?

Hindsight is a b*tch and I wish I did more with my time. But I guess I still have it. 

I gotta more compassionate to myself 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cross roads

Hi @Flying_Hams 

I'm an old friend with a new identity - I know you and your job situation and your And we can't change the past

Workwise life has not been satisfying for you - people disappoint you and I understand. I did not always get lucky breaks either - still I did have great work experience and it was varied. There are jobs and bosses out there that can be just plain painful.

It seems to me that you are unfulfilled where you are and anxious about changing. That's life - and if anyone is chronically anxious it's an issue that you confront daily.

Many people more around in employment placements - I did for a while when I was young - like you I was well qualified - and life circumstances change. We need to choose between commuting further or working nearer to where we live

I can't help with your anxiety now but I can assure you that it gets less with time and experience. It matters less I guess - and mistakes - well all make them and we can learn

I wish the best as I always have. I had to take time out for my own reasons but I am back and this is a good thing

Owlunar

hi there old friend @Owlunar

thank you for your wisdom

right now i have done some vacuuming and tidied up my desk

i'm sitting here reading your thing and i think it's time i just sat here and waited for what came if that makes sense?

rather than mindlessly scrolling for something to read.

Wait and see what comes to me from my unconscious mind - usually this is where answers come from I find

see ya round the forum

That makes sense @Flying_Hams 

Vacuuming and tidying your desk is more than I have done today - staring at my post and wondering what might come next could be profitable.

Cause yes - I have posted back and introversion can sometimes bring an answer.

I remembered being in Lakes Entrance 6 years ago now and lying on the bed staring at the ceiling wondering what I could put on my new blisters because I didn't have any first aid kit with me and the shops were a kilometer away. My feet hurt too much to walk back there in the heat. Just switching my pain off gave me an idea and I had my eyedrops with me and used them on my blisters and it worked - ideas can come when we switch off and let our mind wander

My question is - which is worse for you - working where you are or taking a risk. Maybe a new job will be no better or maybe it's your dream job. 

I went for an interview when I was still a teenager - I wanted to work in the suburbs - my job in the city was a good one - all that commuting every day was expensive and time consuming.

I didn't like the look of the place I went to for the interview, and I stated quite plainly I would not change my job for something less than the one I had. I didn't get the job of course - it was a good choice for me in the long run.

Let your mind wander through all the possibilities you can see now my old friend - that can't hurt - anxiety is a bother and it can stop ideas - introspection and give us choices we don't always see.

All the best

Owlunar

@Flying_Hams I feel for you. 

For many people work is a means to an end but for others it has to fulfil deeper yearnings. Some might see this as finding a calling. 

A while back you mentioned the possibility of higher study. Have you considered this - or even a qualification in another field? Study can be flexible - online or part-time - and a judicious choice might accommodate your interests in philosophy and ethics.

I changed career more than once, but never regretted a change of profession at 29.

It's not easy contemplating a change without a clear understanding of what you're looking for. I hope that you find that clarity, whether it comes from within or from another's insight.

Take care,

Dimity 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance