Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sally1458
New Contributor

Claustrophobia

Hi All,

I have claustrophobia which makes me feel trapped and end up having a panic attack. This stops me from doing many things one of which is getting in a plane.  But in March, I need to fly to visit my son.
I sought help many years ago through hypnotherapy which worked and by using travel bands etc, I was able to actually get in a plane without panicking.

Unfortunately COVID struck and travel ceased.

Now with an upcoming flight in March I am in panic mode. The hypnotist who helped me all those years ago has retired. I have gone to another but I am still very anxious and imagining the closing of the plane door and I can’t get out.

Does anyone have any suggestions that my help me?

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Claustrophobia

Im not a medical practitioner, nor do I have claustrophobia but I have had experience with extreme anxiety.  I still get it bad when Im driving sometimes.  I learned a trick that helps me stop the anxiety in its tracks.  Its basically a form of distraction.  I think of an animal word like Horse - I spell it, H O R S E - and the last letter of horse starts my next word, so I have to think of an animal that starts with E.  so E L E P H A N T - T I G E R - R A B B I etc.  I swear by this because if your brain is busy searching for answers its too busy to tell you your in danger i.e panic attack.  There are probably lots of brain hacks like that one, its a matter of finding one that works for you.  Distraction is a powerful tool.  Doesnt hurt to have as many tools as you can.  Good luck.    

This was from two years ago so they're getting closer. Still, the tech for this solution probably isn't ready yet. I'm sharing it anyway.

It would be so nice to fly without being confined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHk13Xa8dqI

Jet-packs aside, I'd also add, I'm pretty sure those that can be hypnotized can also self-hypnotize.

It's also been my experience to an extent. I had a few hypnotic demos done on me by a learner and I found that I will the same suggestions back in. One trick in particular is very easy to access. It makes me wonder if the student didn't actually deactivate it (and it just passively in my system for whenever it's cued).

I won't say what the trick is. Partially because of anonymity. Mainly because I'd rather leave it to imaginations.

Hey @Sally1458 and thank you for sharing how you are feeling with us on the forums ❤️

With covid and the halting of all travel for so long, as well as your usual hypnotist retiring, I can see why you would be feeling extra anxious about this. How long is the flight? Is it something that you are going to be on for a while?

As @lala2 mentioned above, there are many techniques that you could try if the flight is only short, however if it is longer it might be worth trying out a new hypnotist or even speaking to a mental health professional about techniques or strategies that you might be able to note down for longer haul flights. 

I am sorry to hear that your usual hypnotist has retired, but maybe they could recommend someone else that they think could help with your situation? 

Sending you lots of virtual hugs,

Amber22

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance