Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Acacia

Beating the bad guys

I came across this interesting article recently about approaching mental illness like a video game. I’m definitely not a gamer (Tetris on my phone is about the deepest I’ve delved into that world), but it made a lot of sense.

The writer has developed a gaming approach to mental illness which she applied at a really difficult time in her life. Some of the key things she mentions are:

• Identifying your “bad guys”
  • Tapping into your “power-ups”
  • Recruiting allies
  • Visualising your “alternate universe” (where all your problems are gone)
  • Finding the heroic story in your life

Kind of another way of applying a lot of the principles we come across in behavioural therapy approaches.

I was interested to know what people on the Forums think of this concept, especially people who are into video games such as @Jacques (I’m sure there are others out there too so please jump in Smiley Happy).

Is it a helpful way of framing things?

It also made me wonder if there are other metaphors that could be used as a way of managing mental illness. For the writer, games are something she is passionate about so it was a helpful metaphor for her recovery. Has anyone else got a helpful metaphor they've used or others could use in the management of their MI?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201508/it-s-time-think-gamer?collection=1078375

1 REPLY 1

Re: Beating the bad guys

Hi @Acacia

Wow what a fantastic concept, it would be great for gamers, children and adolescense.  Yes, it is needed to find a way to "tap" into a way for children and teenagers to find something they understand to help them with their mental health issues. i think this concept will take off amongst the younger generation. 

I was wondering if you or others have seen the article about "Mental health" games, they are games designed for gamers obviously to help them understand what is happeneing to them, depression anxiety, etc. some of the new games even tackle ways to help people through troubling times. 

here is the article if anyone is interested. 

http://mic.com/articles/120006/these-6-video-games-tackle-anxiety-and-depression-one-level-at-a-time

It is a great apporach to helping find, understand and develpoe techniques to deal with Mental illness. 

I use video games to deal with life and the fact i can't leave the house much, i play games to help me feel like i am part of society, to be able to experiance some sort of life, i know it is only games but it does help me get through each and every day. 

Thank you @Acacia, this is a very interesting article. 

Take care all

Jacques

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance