Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

CheerBear
Community Elder

Animals and their impact on our wellbeing

Continuing last night's discussion on The Pet Effect (you can find that here), this space is to share and discuss the impact of animals on our wellbeing. 

What do animals bring to your life? 

Perhaps you'd like to share a story or memory involving an animal, an animal related image you like, a specific example of how your pet/an animal has impacted your wellbeing, describe your pet's personality and how they show it, or maybe share what animals you enjoy or admire and why... Anything to do with animals and your wellbeing goes!

🐾😊

Tagging everyone who participated in the discussion or supported the original post but everyone is welcome to join in!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Animals and their impact on our wellbeing

I used to own a lovely border collie x - they are really intelligent and engaging.  He was a good companion to me and very loyal.  I miss having a dog.  After he passed on the house felt so empty.  You never realise how much residence they take up in your life until they go.  He had a great life.  Lots of beach and nature walks.  He was a great little dude with a lovely temperament.  I never realised I needed him so much in my life 🙂 

913300_660360187312437_1841065794_n.jpg

He's so beautiful @SmilingGecko. Those colours ❤ So sorry to hear he is no longer with you. It can feel so empty when they go.

Do you think you will have another dog sometime? It took me a while to have another cat after my girl left me. It's been years now and I still miss her very much but am glad I decided bring another cat (or three) into the house again as they bring so much to my life.

He was a very beautiful boy @SmilingGecko ... and a lovely photo too.  Looks like a studio photo. 😃🐶

@CheerBear Thank-you.  Yes he was a good little guy.  He really loved people and the sentiments he got from others was really nice.  I can't afford another dog. I am scared the vet bills will be high like last time.  He was seeing a vet every fortnight for injections and I was applying creams on his undercarriage and drops in his ears plus tablets down the back of his throat.  I don't have a car either anymore so it would be impossible to get out to ER in an emergency. So for now have decided no dog.  

@Former-Member yes it was a professional pet photo day at the coin operated dog wash that my dog used to love in Ferntree Gully.  Scrub-a-dub-dog it was called.  They had booths where you put your dog and you just put in coins for a step by step clean.  You got jetstream shampoo'd water which was deeply massaging, then you got a rinse with plain water also with jet stream and then a vaccuum which sucked up the excess water then a warm blow dry.  The dog wash was quite an intensive clean so no wet dog smells - it got right under his fur.  I don't know if they are still open, their other outlet in Naree Warren closed down.  They could still be going in Ferntree Gully.  It was roughly $12-15 a dog wash and it was all DIY. Your dog was ultra clean.  My partner and I used to wash him once a month there.  But yes that photo was taken by a photographer at the dog wash 🙂 

Beautiful photo @SmilingGecko 

Hello @CheerBear , @Former-Member 

This is the first time that I have not had a pet, but we have our neighbours pets and our customers pets which I love seeing every week @greenpea , @Wanderer 

Great idea for a thread.  And for all those of you who enjoy this thread, you will probably also enjoy this one:

https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Pets-as-therapy-and-for-our-wellbeing/td-p/114231

Click on the link above to navigate to it.

Sherry 💕🐶🦅🐟😺🐑🐄🐖

Having pets is proven to be very therapeautical. Cat and dog owners have reduced blood pressure and lower stress levels and this must apply to all pets I think.

This was my inside cat Arnold just after my then partner and I picked him up from the local RSPCA. He lived for 17 1/2 years. And was my best friend for many of those years as my partner and I split up 5 years later. He liked beating up our two dogs, fishing pole games, chin rubs and oven-mitt tug-of-war games. Oh and eating grass hoppers when I walked him around the back yard.

Arnold.jpg

And this is Midnight. I put food out for homeless cats ( I'm desexing the females to start with) and she is the only one who comes inside and smooches. She is a small cat but has the appetite of a horse.

Midnight.jpg

Great thread @CheerBear 

Gives me warm and fuzzies!!

My dog is asleep in my lap at the moment. Snoring slightly Smiley Frustrated

@SmilingGecko 

He is very beautiful  your very lucky to have him in your life.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance