cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Shazi55
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Rebuild after the fires// share your story

I have many stories to tell about the fires I've experienced, but I actually thought I'd share the most unusual...

It's rather accidental really. 

I had enqired about a local Lions Club, wondering if it would be a good fit for me. I hadn't actually decided to join, but one thing lead to another and all of a sudden I was signed up. 

Then Bunyip State Forest caught alight and my town was put on watch and act alert. 

It was touch and go for my town while many I knew had lost their homes...

But then I got a call as our fire fighters began to get it under control. A meeting was called. 

The first thing I heard was; we want to help! 

Then there was the statement that won me...

We will be needed for at least 2 years! 

This single statement gave me hope that our efforts would not be held back to some impractical time limit but would be realistic (they're still continuing today)

Calls were made, people organised, food cooked, insurance for volunteers covered, and machinery and volunteers organised! Even down to psychological support and plants to re-establish people's gardens! 

Then last year when fire hit Gippsland hard, another call came... and we worked with other groups to help there while continuing support for the Bunyip State Forest Victims. 

Do you have stories about your community groups and members of your community getting together to help and make a difference??

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Rebuild after the fires// share your story

"This single statement gave me hope that our efforts would not be held back to some impractical time limit but would be realistic (they're still continuing today)"

Beautiful words, thank you so much for sharing your story @Shazi55 we feel honoured and no doubt it will help many others Heart

Thanks so much @nashy I'm grateful to be able to do something positive and constructive!

thank you so much for sharing your story @Shazi55 Heart

@Shazi55

My community was incredible after the fires. So many stores opened, feeding people free of charge. We had no power for like a week, so eating hot food was an absolute GODSEND! And one of the ice cream places opened up for free, only asking for a small donation to the RFS, if anything--just because they wanted to see people smile.

Thanks so much @Shaz51
Very happy to see another shaz(i) here! ❤

@YouAreNotAlone 

Wow thanks for sharing! 

It's INCREDIBLE the strength, compassion and support we receive in and from our communities and how Australians pull together from all walks of life! 

Everyone, from volunteer organisations, the guy next door, small business owners... all the way to people travelling miles and miles to cook barbecues! 

Australians are truly amazing... I'm so proud! 

@YouAreNotAlone wrote:
@Shazi55

My community was incredible after the fires. So many stores opened, feeding people free of charge. We had no power for like a week, so eating hot food was an absolute GODSEND! And one of the ice cream places opened up for free, only asking for a small donation to the RFS, if anything--just because they wanted to see people smile.

@Shaz55 I couldn't agree more! There was one guy from Canberra who organised thousands and thousands of dollars of relief. In those first few days after the fires when we didn't have any food or power, that kept us alive!

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: