cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Ripples
Senior Contributor

Bushfire recovery

Hello to all survivors of natural disasters. I went for a day trip to Braidwood today, travelling through Nerriga, NSW. I didn't quite realise just how vast the affected bushland was. I have been avoiding travelling around NSW because my bushfire memories are upsetting. I am heartened, however, by the way the bush is regenerating. A lot of the dead trees will become homes for bugs and animals. We live in a tough country but our environment and everything that lives in it is tough too, including us. It warms my heart that people are picking up and getting on with things, even if they don't feel great. The definition of courage is doing what needs to be done even if you don't feel up to the job. I take just one day at a time. Having faith that things will work out is hard but I find that determination is simply keeping your eye on the target and dodging the obstacles.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bushfire recovery

Hi @Ripples,

I am sure the trees and forest will regenerate themselves. People will rebuild. Community will gather back as time goes on. 

I am based in VIC. In 2009 Black Saturday, Marysville was badly burnt. 10 years after, we revisited the place and it was a bustling town again. I visited the art gallery which was burnt to the ground during the bushfire, the place now has more artwork and sculptures than before, its story intertwined with its history of bushfire. Here's the art gallery: https://brunosart.com/

We are currently having severe flood, power and telecommunication outage in the parts of regional Victoria and people were ordered to be evacuated yesterday. This has been lifed today though. My neighbours had 24 hours of power outage but was restored shortly after. Other suburbs aren't faring as well. Hope the weather gets better and life returns to normal for those affected residents. 

Sometimes after trauma like floods and bushfires an amazing thing happens. In my case I learned how to feel the pain of others much better. In my sadness and loss I started coming up with creative ideas about how to benefit those even worse off than me. I have been transformed into a better version of myself, albeit slightly shaky, and a bit damaged.

Hi @Ripples,

I am glad you see the positives side of it.

It's amazing how these families with kids are coping withour electricity and telecommunication for 4 days in the middle of winter due to wild weather and flooding.

Check this out:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-13/living-with-victorian-power-outages/100211204 

Hope the power and telecommunication company get this sorted out soon. It has affected a wide area of suburbs. My neighbours got it only for 24 hours fortunately. 

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: