Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday//Designing your online world//Tues. 16 Jan. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Just reading posts about notifications (which I have turned off for Facebook - or at least most of them, I might get the occasional one if someone tags me) but I just checked my e-mail and I have 40+ notifications from tonight's discussion!  Guess I'll be working out how to turn off these forum notifications very, very soon....  😉

Completely agree with the idea of having to choose when to log in, not being bombarded by 24/7 messages!

@Phoenix_Rising It's a bit special here, isn't it?

I might be covering ground that's already been dealt with earlier in the session, but what @Former-Member said about news reminded me. I only read the news online, not watch it on TV or listen on radio. I find I have more control over how I respond to it in print rather than other media. The news to me is so horrendous at this time in history, I just find myself despairing if I get into it too much. Sometimes I even only read the headlines and that's enough to know what's going down and that I don't need to torture myself with the details.

We've got about ten minutes to go, so one last topic:

Share the joy!

A lot of this discussion has been about safety, protection and avoiding negative experiences. But the online world is so fun! So let’s end by sharing some joy – what are the awesome sites, accounts, memes and other fun stuff you can recommend?

Here are a couple of mine to start us off:

@a_moments_rest is a Twitter account that inserts peaceful, neutral posts into your feed — I looooove it

Colossal features gorgeous and unusual art and design

@Mazarita I do exactly the same thing! My parents visited me recently, and they put the TV news on -- it was sooo weird. I'm used to choosing what news I read online! Much prefer it that way.

@Lonely_Together wrote:

I have 40+ notifications from tonight's discussion!  Guess I'll be working out how to turn off these forum notifications very, very soon....  😉

@Lonely_Together giggle. I think I must have turned off all my FB notifications the day I signed up for FB - I can't remember even getting any! I know I turned off all the notifications from Forum Land within days of landing here. I really don't know how anyone gets anything done with social media notifications coming through all the time. That would definitely cook my brain! 

For the good side of social media (aside from the forum, which I do consider social media)... I go searching for independent artists online, musicians, visual arts, video makers, poets, writers and that kind of thing. This is my area of interest and delight. Smiley Very Happy

I love watching youtube complilations of unlikely animal friendships - makes me smile everytime!! 

I won't share any personal photos on here, but I love seeing pictures of my nephews or of my friends' pets when I log onto Facebook.  That always brightens my day! 🙂

@Mazarita That sounds ace -- I've found so much great stuff on Bandcamp, Soundcloud and the other independent music sites. If there's a site you can recommend, go for it!